Denso + NGK plug problems ?

MORF114

Just wondering how many people have had problems with denso plugs or ngk with them breaking by no fault of your own?

marcymarc

MORF114 said:
Just wondering how many people have had problems with denso plugs or ngk with them breaking by no fault of your own?
Im not sure what make mine are but when i took my car to be repaired today they phoned me and said 3 of the spark plugs had melted :lol: , gonna pick it up in the morning so ill let you know if they were either of the plugs you have mentioned. :)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I've had the ceramic crack on one of the Denso IK27's I have installed, I replaced the one plug and all appears to be OK.

I think if I were going to change plugs, I would buy a different brand

marcymarc

stevepudney said:
I've had the ceramic crack on one of the Denso IK27's I have installed, I replaced the one plug and all appears to be OK.

How long did it take to crack?

marcymarc

turbodaily said:
cracking and melting are 2 different things..
:lol: yeah i know , but he said hed just installed them , was just wondering how long the plug took to crack after they had been changed.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I installed a new set of Denso IK27's, then a week or so later was checking the gap on them and noticed the crack. I just replaced the cracked one with a new one and I THINK all is still OK.

I'm thinking of changing the Denso's to another type (racing 9's) though as I get a bit worried about it cracking again

marcymarc

stevepudney said:
I installed a new set of Denso IK27's, then a week or so later was checking the gap on them and noticed the crack. I just replaced the cracked one with a new one and I THINK all is still OK.

I'm thinking of changing the Denso's to another type (racing 9's) though as I get a bit worried about it cracking again

What would of happened if you hadnt of noticed it had cracked and left it?

youngsyp

stevepudney said:

One of my IK24's cracked too. All the way around the centre electrode. The only thing stopping the ceramic insulator going into the engine, was the earth electrode. They had been on the car for around 2 years though !

I now use NGK iridium 8's !

youngsyp

marcymarc said:
What would of happened if you hadnt of noticed it had cracked and left it?
The insulator could just break off and go through the engine, damaging anything and everything on the way. That includes valves, pistons and turbine wheel !!

MORF114

do you think it is worth changing from denso to ngk because of the insulater or is it not a common thing and just a one off?

P

pulsarboby

one of the main reasons for plug breakdowns is the ht leads!
as the spark tracks down the outside of the plug and causes it to crack!
early ford mondeo's were notorious for this.

if you find this has happened to your plug then change that lead at the same time as theres a good chance that it will happen again;-)

the only plugs i will not buy for any vehicle due to many probs in the past are: champion! they are truly useless and a waste of money

i generally use ngk's on any vehicle i work on, but denso and bosch also are not far behind in terms of quality.

however you do occasionally get a faulty batch of plugs that do not work properly, ive had this a few times even with ngk, so just return them to wherever you bought them and get yourself another set!

marcymarc

youngsyp said:
The insulator could just break off and go through the engine, damaging anything and everything on the way. That includes valves, pistons and turbine wheel !!

:shock: didnt think plugs could cause that much damage.

youngsyp

marcymarc said:
:shock: didnt think plugs could cause that much damage.
Well, the ceramic insulators are very hard. That combined with everything moving at the rate it does, with the energy it's storing.........