Decision Time, Advice Needed

John

Well as winter approaches I am at a quandary at what to do with the R. The plan was always to use this winter as a period where I would put the car off the road to save some cash and then get it fully re-sprayed, to that extent I’ve even went as far as getting a garage sorted for the winter.

Now the dilemma comes from the fact that I have noticed more and more little spots of rust or beginnings of rust appearing over the car. The usual spots of the rear arches which are only surface bubbled, but the front arches are now showing signs of rust along with bits on the tailgate and more worryingly the inside of the sills at the front doors on both signs are again showing the beginnings of rust.

Now lets get this straight, the car is actually in very good condition for an R, its just nowhere near perfect, just the rust and the odd car park dint are ruining it in my view.

Now the dilemma comes from the fact the car is winter green (DL2) which as I guess all of you know is a rare colour. Now I would of course re-spray it the same colour, but what im worried about is that id be wasting my time, will the rust resurface?

Obviously I can get replacement front arches easy enough, a rear tailgate again wouldn’t be a major issue and the dints in the drivers door again isn’t an issue as I would just get a new door. It’s the rear arches I have my concerns over as im not sure that welding in new arches will get rid of the problem fully, will it just reappear a year down the line.

Re-shelling is not something im interested in either because of the fact the car is a winter green version.

So what’s peoples view on this, any advice is good advice as im really at a crossroads?

P

pulsarboby

if its done properly and in the right envoiroment the rust wont re-appear, it needs to be cut out fully so take it to a good reputable bodyshop and pop in now and again and check progress on car.
if you tell them at the start that you will be popping in now and again to take a look at progress made then that way they wont be able to lash it up and will have to do the job properly, but it wont be cheap!

John

if its done properly and in the right envoiroment the rust wont re-appear, it needs to be cut out fully so take it to a good reputable bodyshop and pop in now and again and check progress on car.
if you tell them at the start that you will be popping in now and again to take a look at progress made then that way they wont be able to lash it up and will have to do the job properly, but it wont be cheap!
I always knew the cost would be huge for a proper re-spray, but my theory was the stupid amount of money ive put into the R I'll never see again anyway, so why not make it the best possible and that will last.

Would be interesting to hear anyone elses views or anybody elses experiences from doing this, ie problems and costs?

GTiR-Aholic

I agree with bob.. my uncle owns a bodyshop and does this type of thing all the time.. if you just grind away at the rust...filler..prime then spray - then it definitely comes back and many people opt for this cheap option when wanting to sell their motors but people who don't mind spending that bit extra will either get the rust cut out and a sheet welding into place.. or pay for a new panel to be fitted and sprayed in :)

Costs.. it varies from place to place.. but for 1 side rear arch a proper job I'd say you're looking at £450 blended in (you provide the panel)

Say you wanted a full spray job (same colour) you're looking at £650-700 plus the rear arch replaced both sides.. You should be able to get it all with in £1500 I'd say quite easily.. but you'd most likely have to provide the panels at that price.

johnsy

iv been quoted £250 to have one of my rear arch es and sill be cut out and replaced/painted

and they came highly recommended

vss irvine

i would have it cut out and replaced, as bob says, if its done correct, then sealed inside the rust should stay away.

GTiR-Aholic

iv been quoted £250 to have one of my rear arch es and sill be cut out and replaced/painted

and they came highly recommended
Yeah most places are now dropping their prices and doesn't necessarily mean the quality changes.. I know my uncle would do it for about £200-250 as well and like many garages his success is through word of mouth.

But when looking for the best in your R.. we sometimes tend to go to the bigger boys who like to rape our wallets :doh:... like halfrauds! lol

..although you won't believe this.. they had a PAIR of recliner buckets (RIPSPEED) for £50!!!!.. managers special clearance.. sold before I got there :sad:

SunOnGTiR

I think you got to ask yourself how long you intend to keep the R?
This is one reasons that made me sell my R:cry:
There's no quick-fix when it comes to the dreaded rust:evil:
Soon as I see a tiny little bubble around the rear arches,I know it's time to move on.This is my opinion,though.
Think about it carefully and weigh out the option(s);-)

John

This is where the problem lies. The car has had well into 5 figures spent on it in tuning alone in the 2 and half years I've had it, and its money I know that I will never ever see again. If I was going to bail out I should of done it before the engine went bang, but I didn’t.

Mechanically the car is what I want, circa 400bhp and it has been reliable now for 7k miles of day to day driving! Then again it should be with the money that’s spent. I also have a quaife box that I have waiting to go in when I see fit.

So in short, I plan to keep the car for a while (had it for 2.5 years and see no reason why I will be getting rid in next 3-5 anyway) as R's are worth nothing right now and I’m certainly not going to get anywhere near what I’ve spent back, indeed R’s are worth more in parts than whole these days!

This is why im asking whether or not, if I spend the cash and go to somewhere reputable whether I can expect that 12 months down the line the same old rust starts reappearing.

Obviously the panels I replace won’t be an issue but the likes of the rear arches and the rust on the inner parts of doors on the sills aren’t something I can simply remove and replace. I had prepared in my head that it would cost circa 2-2.5k to get right, but then if that meant that it would last and look nearly as good as a factory job then id be happy.

Problem is finding somewhere reliable that I know has the facilities to do the work (a proper spray booth is a must) and wont skimp on the repairs. Touch ups in Glasgow has had a lot of great reviews I’ve heard but I’m not adverse to traveling a lot farther if the job is going to be done right.

Anyone know what Rich at Redline spent on his re-spray?

kisskool

I think you got to ask yourself how long you intend to keep the R?
This is one reasons that made me sell my R:cry:
There's no quick-fix when it comes to the dreaded rust:evil:
Soon as I see a tiny little bubble around the rear arches,I know it's time to move on.This is my opinion,though.
Think about it carefully and weigh out the option(s);-)

thank's a lot :thumbsup: