Damage to underside of car from jacking

Hi everybody :)
After having a little race with a Lamborghini (and overtaking) the other week I have blown my turbo on my gtir so I is an excuse to rebuild her.. I'm gona go all the way back to bare metal though. I've had this in my head for a while I want my baby back to the day she came out of the factory.. Body, suspension, drivetrain, engine, interior.. Everything like brand new!

Now I'm just being picky but one thing that really annoys me about my R is that previous owners have jacked it up on the front 'chassis rails' drivers/passenger floor pans and crushed them :( it looks horrible! Also the threads have gone for the driver wishbone rear bush.. Not good! The clamp fell off while driving!!

I've defiantly read on her before that this damage to the floor is common with Rs but I can't find anything.. I really want to have my shell sand blasted then remove these damaged sections of chassis and replace with new sections..

My question is.. Does anyone have any experience doing this repair or know of anywhere that may still these panels? I know it's a long shot but I really don't want to have to make them myself I want 100% original, or does anyone know off a R being broken that May not have this damage? (So I can cut it out)

Any help is really apreciated. Thankyou.

vss irvine

You need to open up the floor in the footwell to get to the captive threads that hold the wishbone on.

As for chassis rails you should still be able to get them from nissan.

Have a look at the work warpspeed does as he reconditions and restores bodyshells.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've had this in my head for a while I want my baby back to the day she came out of the factory.. Body, suspension, drivetrain, engine, interior.. Everything like brand new!

...and while your at it, you should make up and project thread so you can show us your progress, I'd be keen to see how you get on!

vpulsar

I replaced both chassis rails on my last R got them from Nissan I think, Make sure you do lots of pictures of your rebuild buddy and if you do have the rails replaced show plenty of pics so those thinking of doing the same can see what's evolved

Good luck

Rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had those box sections replaced too... it was an MOT failure because the tester insisted they were structural.

Rather than go to Nissan, I had the guy working on it bend them up from sheet metal and weld them on. - I got away with re-tapping and helicoiling the captive nut for the wishbone mount.

I'm not sure you could tell it's not an original part since it's all covered in under-seal now anyway.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Rail replacement:

Part Number: 75180 - 55C00 Drivers side
Part Number: 75181 - 55C00 passenger side

expect a six week wait :x and to pay around £30 per side

Scott aka Warpspeed is deffo the man for this. He is not long finished doing restoration work on mine. Couldnt recommend him enough.