Cylinder Head Polishing

Sweeny

What is the easiest way to polish a cylinder head?

Should i keep the valves in to protect the seats and put the old head gasket on to protect the surface?

And, what should i use to do the polsihing? I was just goin to get some wet n dry and some Autosol, Or some different bits for my dremmel?

Thanks.

James.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Don't polish it too much. You need some roughness to create turbulence and mix the air/fuel together. I don't think it's quite so critical on an injected car as the fuel should be well atomised anyway, but just something to bear in mind.

Sweeny

Fast Guy said:
Don't polish it too much. You need some roughness to create turbulence and mix the air/fuel together. I don't think it's quite so critical on an injected car as the fuel should be well atomised anyway, but just something to bear in mind.
Yeah, but im on about the combustion chambers, should of said really :oops: .

zia

i wouldn,t polish the head chambers if i was you !!! smoothing will make the a/f cling to valve underheads and and may causing lean outs. don,t take this the wrong way like (some peeps) :roll: i,d let a pro take all the valve out and clean and grind the seats will pay divdence rather than waste money on polishing gas flow will also improve effiency and air flow!!! the choice is as ever yours. it on your head if something does go wrong :wink:

zia