Custom TMIC

Trip

Anyone considering an uprated custom TMIC ?

I found a supplier who can supply us with a 355x355x76mm (14"x14"x3") TMIC core. The standard size is 295x350x58mm.

Minimum order is 10 and price would be in the $300-$400.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZetdmotors

I will keep on looking for suppliers who can supply one off's

youngsyp

Have you looked into the costs of having the I/C fabricated, on top of the core cost ?

Finding a company to do the work might be difficult too.

I don't mean to piss on your fire bud but, these could cause the finished item cost to sky rocket.

Paul

Trip

The end tanks can be customised and welded with the order of the cores. Mounting points would need to be looked at once the IC is at hand.

Braveheart

Trip said:
The end tanks can be customised and welded with the order of the cores. Mounting points would need to be looked at once the IC is at hand.
Trip are you saying that the supplier of the cores can also supply and fit the end tanks.
If that's the case, I am interested providing the price does not esculate too much.

youngsyp

Trip said:
considering an ARC costs above £600, this will surely be better and cheaper.
As I said bud, I'm not trying to piss on you fire. I just don't think this will work out as cost effective as you expect it to be.
If you could get a price together, for the finished item, delivered, I think you'd have more take up.

Also, don't forget that you can get a Hybrid FMIC for around £200 delivered and that will always be more effective than the TMIC, due to it's placement. Sure, it might give a very small increase in lag but, I'm sure you could minimise this with a decent boost controller set up.

Paul

Trip

youngsyp said:
As I said bud, I'm not trying to piss on you fire. I just don't think this will work out as cost effective as you expect it to be.
If you could get a price together, for the finished item, delivered, I think you'd have more take up.

Also, don't forget that you can get a Hybrid FMIC for around £200 delivered and that will always be more effective than the TMIC, due to it's placement. Sure, it might give a very small increase in lag but, I'm sure you could minimise this with a decent boost controller set up.

Paul
I know perfectly what you are saying and one has to consider Cost Vs Gain. To be honest its not a BHP/pound mod. It more to minimise lag, sharp response and all the weight hanging on the front.

I have a brand new FMIC sitting in my garage and the piping is ridiculously long.

youngsyp

Trip said:
I know perfectly what you are saying and one has to consider Cost Vs Gain. To be honest its not a BHP/pound mod. It more to minimise lag, sharp response and all the weight hanging on the front.

I have a brand new FMIC sitting in my garage and the piping is ridiculously long.
Glad you don't think I'm putting the idea down. ;-)

Just to add, there's a thread on here from me somewhere, trying to make the most of my TMIC.

My next step, when I get more time, is to make a full width heat shield, to go between the TMIC and rocker cover and, get a used bonnet scoop I can butcher, to get more air through it.
If you look at the design of the scoop, about 1/4 of the scoop surface area is taken up by the vertical mouldings. Removing these, should see an large improvement in sustanable low intake temps under heavy load.

Trip

youngsyp said:
Glad you don't think I'm putting the idea down. ;-)

Just to add, there's a thread on here from me somewhere, trying to make the most of my TMIC.

My next step, when I get more time, is to make a full width heat shield, to go between the TMIC and rocker cover and, get a used bonnet scoop I can butcher, to get more air through it.
If you look at the design of the scoop, about 1/4 of the scoop surface area is taken up by the vertical mouldings. Removing these, should see an large improvement in sustanable low intake temps under heavy load.
I read your thread and did put my comments in :)

the OE design is very good and efficient, but when running on fairly high boost, it cannot dissipate heat efficiently at any given time. Thats why i am considering a larger volume IC

youngsyp

Trip said:
the OE design is very good and efficient, but when running on fairly high boost, it cannot dissipate heat efficiently at any given time. Thats why i am considering a larger volume IC
That's what I've found too bud. Theoretically, the increase in scoop surface area should help with this but, I won't know until I test it. And to do that, I need to find a cheap scoop I can hack around....

I'll put a wanted add up I think.

Braveheart

Trip said:
I read your thread and did put my comments in :)

I was also party to earlier discussions regarding TMIC improvements.
The pipe run is good, forced air could be better and heat soak is very bad.
90% + of the FMIC pipe runs are not lagged.... :doh:
I also plan to make a heat sheild to fit between engine and TMIC and my FMIC will stay in it's box as well... ;-)

geoff pine

If your sure this is the way to go with a top mount then you need to be carefull in your choice of core as the core's they make these hybrid type front mounts out of only produce small temperatue drops. Having tried three frount mounts the only one with a large temperature drop was the forge one so maybe you should be talking to forge about atop mount core .

Trip

It is always heat rejection Vs flow at the end of the day

Having long tubing but few of them will have a good heat rejection but the flow is poor.
Having short tubing with many of them will have a poor heat rejection but can flow better.

Going into detail about this. On the inside of the tubing there are are zig-zag fins known as turbulators. The idea of this stuff is to agitate the charge air so that as much as possible all the charge air will come into contact with the turbulators or the tube walls and give up it's heat. Naturally all this agitation will kill flow, but zero agitation kills heat transfer. So we have to strike a happy medium. Some manufactures go for the dense tightly packed tubulators per a given length, some go for a less dense. Most of the manufactures go in between to satify the masses.

It is very hard to get such details of the turbulators design from the supplier of the core unless you are paying ££££ for a premium core. For this reason, a 14 x 14 will strick a medium between heat rejection and flow.