crane hi-6 and lx92 advice

GTIR-LOZ

hi i am having as problem with this setup and i am in need of some advice/help basically i have the system installed and i have a misfire at 2000rpm all loads/all gears the a/f gauge goes really lean and sometimes even off the scale i have a pfc fitted and i have set the dwell times to 1.7ms but i am unsure if this is correct as i cant find the dwell time of the lx92 coil anywhere anyone have any ideas on how to work it out i have emailed crane but they have not replied

here are the specs of the coil and hi-6

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=2008&action=partSpec&partNumber=6000-6453

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=2016&action=partSpec&partNumber=730-0892

also when fitting the unit it states that you can remove the condensor but you must leave the ballast resistor in place where is the condensor on the R i checked the wiring diagram and it does have one but i am unsure what it looks like and where it is

thirdly as its a cdi unit is it still ok to run copper core plugs or should i move onto a better plug if so which types the best and what gap is safe on these units as i know you can run alot wider than the normal 0.7mm

MORF114

check your alternator first i had a massive missfire at 2500-3000rpm with msd componants couldnt figure out what was wrong, it turned out my alt was throwing too much at the car and nothing could cope luckily the ecu didnt shit itself as that would have been very costly lol plus for some reason my afr gauge was showing a afr of 15-19 no idea why but works fine now.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
also when fitting the unit it states that you can remove the condensor but you must leave the ballast resistor in place where is the condensor on the R i checked the wiring diagram and it does have one but i am unsure what it looks like and where it is

thirdly as its a cdi unit is it still ok to run copper core plugs or should i move onto a better plug if so which types the best and what gap is safe on these units as i know you can run alot wider than the normal 0.7mm
The condensor (capacitor) is in the same unit as the ballast resistor. Leave it in.

Run whatever plugs you want. 0.7mm gap is fine. You might go wider but if you are running high boost, you might still get blow out at high rpm.

A lot of CDI units switch from multi spark to single spark around 2Krpm. It might be related to that?

GTIR-LOZ

right ok thanks for the reply it may well be the alternator then as i also get it running lean where the misfire occurs it can even go off the gauge whats the maximum it can run?

it says in the hi-6 instructions that it switches from multi-spark to single at over 3500rpm which is what i find weird as it should be multisparking although i did set it up as a 8cylinder to see if there was any difference and although there were more firing lines it still ran the same

thanks for your help guys i will test the alternator and get back to you

GTIR-LOZ

hi i have quick update ive been fiddling around trying to map the pfc and have learnt alot over the past month, it appears that the air flow curves in the pfc are not terribly accurate once you start adjusting the bore of the intake pipe and the size of the turbo etc it puts the curve out so i thought i would have a go at adjusting it as my afr is at 17 it might of been due to the fact that the air curve is widley off, i kept it at the point where it misfires and proceeded to adjust the values for the air flow voltage at that point and it all seemed to work i now have no misfire at this point and a decent afr of around 14.7 (which is what the pfc says it should be) i just need to do the higher loads and all should be ok it seems that as i adjust the values its pushing up the misfire higher into the rev band which i dont really understand as im putting the air values up so its showing the pfc there is more air than it did before so i would of thought it would go the other way but im sure it will go once all the values are mapped in correctly

i will keep you lot informed once i have my budding driving volunteer cough bob thats you cough

P

pulsarboby

sorry loz only just seen this thread!

give me a bell in the week and il take her for a blast so you can try map through the rev range.
ive got some news on the pfc front if it helps which may make the mapping much easier;-)
call me tomorrow and il explain.
saturday would probably be the best day as roads are quieter.

GTIR-LOZ

righty ho mate i will ring you tomorrow anything to make it easier the better the correct setup seems to be the hardest thing as virtually everything has to be tailored to your exact car which has taken ages however once you know what to do it would not take too long

P

pulsarboby

thats where il be picking your brains, as im quite dim when it comes to reading parameters etc out of the book lol.

hopefully if we can sort yours between us then can get the others sorted too:-D
you is a brave man loz, but im sure well get there, may pay to take joey along too so he can also see whats going on as hes been reading up on it also.

P

pulsarboby

ye have no faith loz, one of us needs some:lol::lol:

after weve destructed your car we can then kill mine then joeys, then advertise for other volunteers:doh: