cracking gearboxes

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Internalls usually fail before it gets to the point where the casing fails..

P

pulsarboby

right a little update for you all

ill be making the prototype today now all the dooberries have arrived, so i should be able to carry out tests later this week on a press etc to see just how much this improves the rear endcase strengh.

so keep your fingers crossed everyone, i will post up results of the test and what it actually is once i have all the facts in place

but for the time being lets just say im rather confident that it will work;-)

Mr GTiR

Bob, can this be fitted while the box and engine are in? I'm just about to drop my engine so may leave it out and wait for your findings.

P

pulsarboby

yes andy it can be installed with the gearbox in situ, so no need to hang about with it;-)

P

pulsarboby

ok made my first gizmo today for my own car, what a fcuking palava that was:roll:

not as easy as i originally thought, but its done:thumbsup:

will be testing the thing later on this week on a press to see just how strong this thing will be, but im gonna have to sacrifice two gearbox end cases to do this! but all for a good cause, i hope.

if all goes as per plan i will post up what frankenstein invention i have created by the weekend, for all to see and drool over:lol: the one ive just made will be fitted to my quaife as its number one in my batch.

fingers crossed on the testing chaps, im expecting it to strenghen the case by around 30-40%lets hope im not full of sh1te:lol:

jsbuds

How about use a pneumatic ram a solenoid (12 or 240v) and a bottle of say nitrogen with a regulator to simulate the force (plenty of pressure available at all at once). Maybe weld/bolt the ram to some thick steel plate and then bolt the part of the outer case over the ram and hey presto. just and idea mind u :)

P

pulsarboby

i can do the same test with a hammer and my arm, thing is it wont give me the nm measurement that it will take.

but it will similate a heavy object being smashed at it with force.

MarkTurbo

pulsarboby said:
will be testing the thing later on this week on a press to see just how strong this thing will be, but im gonna have to sacrifice two gearbox end cases to do this! but all for a good cause, i hope.
To be honest i dont see how you can test the casing properly unless you can accuratly replicate what happens when the 2 shafts are forced apart suddenly (which is what breaks the casings) :? The only way to find out for sure is repeated launches and seeing if it breaks when its on the car :lol:

P

pulsarboby

yes you are correct there mark!
other than run the box there is no bulletproof way of testing, so im testing it the best way i possibly can.

your also correct in the fact that lateral and end torque is the killer of these end cases.
one of the boxes that ive stripped apart is a really good indication of this, as the end bearing has badly worn which has allowed for excessive movement on the input shaft!
couple that with launching the car and bang goes the end case.

what i can do in a press, is test for lateral and end pressure untill the case breaks then try the same test with my gizmo attached and see how much more it can take before it cracks again.
when you see what it is it will be easier to explain how ive tested it and how it will benefit the weak casing!

bracpan

I am crossing everything for you, even a 30% increase in strenth would be a good step ahead.
Good luck
Phil

P

pulsarboby

ok chaps, have had a few setbacks lately and been run off me feet as ive had to get rid of two lads last week, so im now having to do work myself:shock: even though ive taken on someone else this week!
hopefully i will have a backlog of work cleared within 2 weeks then i can get this thing tested and i also need to make some alterations to the design as ive fcuked up with some measurements:der: which are gonna cause a problem fitting it:roll:

will try and get this sorted soon though, but its not on top of my priority list at the moment, need to get some work cleared first.