Cracked Chassis legs.

Fusion Ed

Thought this may be of interest to some.

Another sign of ageing chassis. As ashills said when I showed him, perhaps it will start to make GTi-R shells worth something.

Check this out:

I'll be keeping my eye out for this more from now on.

If you're pulsar is starting to pull to the left or right check your lower chassis that it doesn't look like the one in these pics above.

Ed

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'll have to take a close look at mine seeing as it's already on stands. - I'm pretty confident they're ok, but then I could have sprayed so much waxoyl on there that I'd never see it without checking specifically that area.

Mine isn't pulling, but given that it had a badly bent wishbone when I bought it; I've twated it into a kerb; and I've had to helicoil the wishbone mounts; there's every chance that there is damage to that part of the chassis. - That would probably be the last straw...

MarkTurbo

Just saw on the other site you said it was a rally car in its early days. Was it a tarmac or gravel car, gravel cars get a hell of a pounding!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
looks like it happened where some people jack the car up on the arbs?
Not really; that's the wheel arch so you'd have to be putting the jack behind the wheel.

I think it's more the jumps because the chassis would have to be flexing just before the bulkhead for the front to bend-up on impact with the ground.

MarkTurbo

I wonder how many people will have their head under the car after seeing this, i had a look earlier to make sure :lol:

This reminds me about a chat i had with a Nissan mechanic a while back. We were talking about my car being a UK Gti-R and he said the reason they only sold a few in this country was because the bulkheads used to crack. I thought he meant further up in the area behind the dash but maybe it was this area?

P

pulsarboby

is a lot of stress on that point of the chassis if the car gets airborn (more so if a cage has been previously fitted) as that will strenghen the area behind the curvature of the leg which will put all the stress on the bent part leading to the front chassis. you think of the forces involved when all that weight at the front comes crashing down from a jump

certainly something to look out for if you buy an ex competition car!

Fusion Ed

I was told it was desert style rally. I don't know for sure and its gone through so many hands since its impossible to say for sure. Remember though its not running a great deal of power...

lakeview

was just about to put a post up about this.how easy is it to weld up?my car has just failed its mot because of this.

rob

red reading

It will need plating up properley not just the cracks welding up, otherwise it would just fail again around the heat affected zone of the weld.