conversion problems

A

Anonymous

right, i am going to try and keep this as short as possible, without leaving out any relavant information.

i have recently fitted a gtir motor, using the gtir engine and ecu looms, and it wont start. when i turn the ignition on the fuel pump primes up, and the safc and avcr come on. but the injectors dont fire and there is no spark. all of the sensors are reading ok on the etc pages of the apexis, except input 2 on the safc which is fluctuating around the 0.015v area (same as input 1 does when the air flow meter is disconnected) so question 1. What is input 2 on the safc? and would it being disconnected result no spark or injectors? now no spark or injectors makes me think its the cam position sensor, i have tried removing the dizzy and turning it to see if i can hear the fuel pump and injectors but i cantl, tried a different dizzy and it was the same. q2. how do i check the ecu is getting a signal from the dizzy to say the engine is turning? q3. what else apart from having power, and knowing the engine is turning, does the ecu need, in order to fire the injectors and produce a spark?

there is a lot more info about my problem on the pulsar group of australia forum, in the forced pulsars section, under i think conversion help needed by pulsardave, i have jumped in on his post as BenGTi-R.

also, i have a plug left over, it is a small 2-pin one similar to the brown and mint green abs ones, except it is grey and mint green, and seems to go behind the engine somewhere, anyone know what this is? and where it should plug into? i have found the same plug on my sr20de loom, and it just plugs back into the engine loom.

any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks all, im so close, yet so far.

cheers.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was it you dropping the Gtir lump into a Gti? Is this that conversion? Have you connected up the exhaust? When I rebuilt my old mg montego after a write off I was in such a hurry to try see if it worked I tried starting it before I put the downpipes etc back on and it wouldn't start. It did start as soon as I connected up the exhaust tho.[:I] Have you used the complete Gtir wiring harness. I think there might be an ecu fuse somewhere. It might be worth checking the fuses are ok. Did you put the dizzy back in the right position? Is everything earthed properly? On some cars they earth stuff through a wire behind the dash board to the bulkhead. Was the engine working before you put it in?
I'm just looking at things other than your safc and avcr as I don't have a clue about them, but it might be them I guess.

A

Anonymous

yeah it was me who was putting the gtir lump in a gti. i think, unless someone else is doing it aswell, i think there is one already done somewhere. no, the exhaust isnt on yet, but even if it wasn't going to start with no exhaust, i would still get the injectors and spark plugs working i think. the engine was working still when i bought the full crashed car, as i started it up a few times, i'm pretty sure all my earths are ok. i have checked all the fuses, and am pretty sure the ecu is getting power as the apexi's both light up and come on. i have found out the input 2 on the safc is rarely used anyway so i dont think it is this. i think the dizzy only goes on 1 way as the two lugs are offset, even when i turn the dizzy by hand the injectors dont operate.

keep the good ideas coming, cheers, Ben

zia

the dizzy and injector recieve a signal from the cas sensor
if there is not signal from cas the ecu will not fire the injectors and ign amp will not switch ign circuit.check cas sensor the bottom of the block.

zia

lord of the "R"

J

jasegould

Crankshaft sensor?? This will cause it not to spark

Ooooohh...its black..yawn..with 17'S..yawn..mongoose..yawn...zzzzzzzzz...BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

thanks, where abouts at the bottom of the block? i always thought it had a cam position sensor not a crank position sensor. what does the plug look like for this sensor? is it small, 2 pin, mainly grey, with a little bit of green inside?

cheers everyone.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Put the exhaust on anyway before you try it next time.
Looking at the manual and my engine bay, the crank angle sensor appears to be the item behind the Wastegate valve control solenoid valve, attatched to the head(?) could someone confirm this.

A

Anonymous

due to the differences between the gtir and gti mounts, i currently do not even have an exhaust, well i have an exhaust, but its only a gti janspeed, and i have no downpipe. i am just gonna botch it together for now, and save for a 3 inch mandrel bent custom jobbie.

im not sure if i still have that valve on mine as it has an avcr and i think this has been replaced.

is there a seperate, crank angle, and cam position sensor, or are these both the same. i am asking as i have been told to remove the dizzy, turn it, and this should trick the ecu into thinking the motor is turning, and fire the injectors

thanks everyone, Ben

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I can't see a cam position sensor listed, so it might be the same part.
Just curious, how do you know your injectors and ignition aren't working for sure? I assume you have tested them?

A

Anonymous

i pulled a spark plug out and rested it against the block, then turned it over and could see no spark, for the injectors i was told to test them by removing and turning the dizzy, and that i should be able to hear them clicking. also, after many tries of starting there was no smell of petrol and the spark plugs were dry. i am not sure if any of this was right, just using my common sense and advice of other people.

cheers, Ben

A

Anonymous

i also have fuel in the fuel rail, and 12v to the coil

cheers, Ben

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could one of the fusible links have blown. Not sure exactly where they are, but in my montego they were hard wired into the harness near the battery.

zia

have you checked that you are getting voltage to cas and other
sensor when the ign is on, normal 0-5 volts? the distributor thing wil only work if the cas is working.check the wiring on cas should have 0-5 volts when you crank the engine there should be frequeny in the voltage.check also voltage to ecu?

zia

lord of the "R"

A

Anonymous

yeah the engine earth is on, where is the cas? is it built into the dizzy, i am getting voltage to the 4 pin plug on the dizzy.

cheers, Ben

zia

if you carn,t find it on the block it will be apart of the dizzy
sorry don,t have diagram of the engine have you look where fast guy said it should be?

zia

lord of the "R"

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's where I said (I hope) but to add abit more.....on the front right bottom hand corner of the head (near the dizzy) as you look at it from the front of the car.

A

Anonymous

nah, haven't bothered with it for a while, but someone is coming round later today to take a look. i will post what it was when/if its sorted. cheers