Congratulations to me!! 10 years of R ownership!

warringtonjack

Well, I've recently celebrated 10 years of owning my R. I think it's fair to say it's been a bit of a rollercoaster, which is the only way it could be after so many years! From those early days back in 2004, when I had to call on the services of a certain Andy Chan to give my standard black R a quick scan over, and we found the HKS EVC plumbed in, through the heady 1 Bar days driving all round the country, and via a rally blue respray, a Quaife box, forged engine, and GT3076R to where we are today!

I have to say there have been a few times when my enthusiasm has waned, but for now, having just passed the MOT and being road legal once more, my enthusiasm remains! I wonder if she'll last another 10 years!

It's good to see so many of the old names still here on the forums, and to see some new names experiencing the pleasure and pain of owning an R for the very first time!

Onwards and upwards!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
In 15 months and I can make such a statement, although I do wonder if that's an achievement or just stupidity! :hide:

Either way 10 years is pretty commendable with all that's gone on in those years and not only that you've stuck with a ever rarer car!

shroom

Well done good to see you still have the enthusiast going strong :)

Some times its better to just leave it alone and forget about it and then in a few months / years the enthusiasm comes back (as it has done for me) and I am glad I never sold it!

stugtir300

Ill reach ten years in 11 months,its been a joy and a pain in the ass but nothin else ive driven in them near ten year's has been so much fun,these money pits will always have a place on my drive or in the garage,hopefully mine will be back on the road next year,so I can enjoy it again but I can say ill never sell mine,its been part of the family for to long,itll be like tryin to sell one of the kids the wrench will be massive.

vss irvine

I had my first car in summer of 1998. Was a 94 k plate fresh off the boat.

cost nearly £10k at the time.

Had a few since then :)

Animaldaz

I'm also in my 9th year of ownership. A lot has changed in that time including having 3 kids. One thing that hasn't changed though is enthusiasm for the R, still love the little money pit.

geoff pine

Had mine since 7-2-2003 cost £5,295 it was the eighth one I looked at :lol: it's still in my garage but has to go next year :lol:

Richard_Sideways

vss irvine thats about what I paid too. Was looking at a Clio Williams at the time, a mate was hunting for an 'R and we found a guy importing nearby (we were getting ready for a trip to Liverpool to look at a couple), He had 4 he'd brought in, two black, one red and one hot pink (!) My made dropped nearly £11k on one of the black ones and I tried the red one for shits and giggles, but got hooked. Mate sold his on years ago after a clutch/gearbox/engine rebuild fiasco (paid peanuts, got monkeys), but I kept the faith...

Great thread lads! Some good stories! I cant believe how expensive these were back in the day!, but i suppose thats why Golf R etc are nearly 40bags a pop new now!

shroom

When I purchased my first R in 2009 it was a mine field of crap sh1tboxes. Picked my current R up for 2k after seeing around 4 other cars, I think that was the biggest slump in the market but there was an ubundance of cars on the market. I brought a rolling shell with mines ecu, gab suspension and everything but the engine for 150 quid, should have kept it together hey ho. I was Glad my car had only been imported recently so I have kept it reletively fresh underneith.

Chap at work spotted my R in the carpark a few years ago and said he had a Sunny GTiR back in the day brought it brand new, was great until he wrote it off :-( stupid man lol

Last edited:

gtircrazy

I've owned mine since 2006 :) What an adventure i have had with these cars since then, owned 13 of them since. :) currently have 4 in my collection.

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Nice to see you're still around warringtonjack! I remember you saying right at the start that you didn't know how long you'd be able to cope with the car as it was a hassle so well done for keeping with it :lol:

Ants had his 2nd pulsar nearly 11 years now and overall been an R man for nearly 12 (not far off).