Con Rod Bearings...

JU5TY

I know this is a long shot on here, as most peeps prob arnt up on Siliva bearings, so ive put it up on the SR20 Forum: http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=64852

But just incase, heres my question...

Im fitting JUN Con rods to my Nissan Pulsar Gti-R RNN14. For this (as per JUN website) you need to use PS13 Silvia con rod bearings/shells.

Using the code on my crank, we worked out I needed the following bearings if I was using normal Pulsar bearings:

3 Shell sets Grade 1, Black colour code (Part code 12111-54C01)
1 Shell sets Grade 2, Brown colour code (Part code 12111-54C02)

They do the following PS13 Silvia bearings:

Part code 12110-RRR40, no colour code
Part code 12110-RRR41, maroon/brown colour code
Part code 12110-RRR42, green colour code
Part code 12110-RRR43, red colour code
Part code 12110-RRR49, purple colour code

What I need to know is, from the above available PS13 Silvia bearings, which ones are Grade 1 and Grade 2?

Any help much appreciated.

zia

hi mate why do you have to use 3 shells with black code and 1 with brown code?. the black shell are only .0001 thick deifference than the brown ones

oh by the way carn,t you get the thickness info for ps13 and then just match it with pulsar shell thickness?.

are you using a jun crank?or standard jobbie regrounded?

zia

JU5TY

Hi mate

Used the workshop manual and the code on the crank to work out what grade each shell needed to be, even if only .0001 difference…

I have a standard crank which hasn’t been reground.
zia said:
oh by the way carn,t you get the thickness info for ps13 and then just match it with pulsar shell thickness?.
This is exactly what im trying to find out…hence grade -> thickness. Any Ideas where I can obtain info like this on PS13 bearings? I’ve posted on all the Silvia forms to.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming... :D

A

Anonymous

...and the reason why you need to use Silvia conrod bearings with these JUN conrods is because......... they are 17mm wide instead of the 19mm wide GTI-R conrod bearings.

Check other posts relating to this topic and you'll see info from me about this.

Ivan

JU5TY

I wasn’t aware of that Ivan… Check which other posts, I’ve had a quick look…

You couldn’t use Pulsar bearings with them even if you wanted to, because the little tooth on them that is used to line the bearing up and stop it spinning wont fit into the con rod unless there Silvia bearings. The little tooth is positioned slightly different on Silvia bearings compared to Pulsar ones.

A

Anonymous

Justy,

The little tooth you are talking about is the 'tang' in my other posts. The tang on the Silvia bearings are in the same position as the SR20DE(T) bearings (non GTI-R bearings) which are the 17mm bearings. I bet (but have not confirmed) that the Silvia bearings are the exact same as the other non GTI-R bearings.

You now need to use the 17mm bearings so that the two halfs meet up in line when positioned in the big end of the conrod. If you use the GTI-R 19mm bearing with these conrods then the bearing shells will be off centre to each other. The same thing will happen (bearings being offset) if you use the 17mm bearings in the standard GTI-R conrod. I have physically seen this being used (17mm in stock GTI-R conrod) and didn't like it at all (wasn't my engine).

All (most) aftermarket SR20DE(T) conrod bearings will be the 17mm type unless they specify they are specifically for the GTI-R, so be aware of this also. Most workshops won't know this if they haven't dealt with the R before.

You could use these conrods and 17mm beairngs, but will lose some surface area and with a hi powered engine could reduce longetivity.

The GTI-R engine was a more solid 'race' engine direct from the factory and i wouldn't want to go backwards with the strength of it.

When i was rebuilding my engine i found this out, and insisted that my ARGO conrods be made to suit the 19mm bearings (as the rods were sold to me as GTI-R conrods). PAR were also informed about this once i found out all the details and now they make rods either for 17mm or 19mm bearings (need to specify when ordering).

Ivan

JU5TY

Thanks for the info Ivan. :D But I dont have much choice but to use the 17mm Silvia con rod bearings with my JUN con rods, do I? :(