''collapsed'' suspension top mount bearing

paz

Hello all :)

I turn the steering wheel full lock left to pull backwards off my drive, as I'm doing so I hear a slight 'clunk' from the top of my suspension, like the spring top is moving about.

When I straighten the steering to pull off down the road I get another clunk, like the spring is settling again. This isn't knocking as I turn to full lock in the way other similar problems do, it definately feels like its coming from the top of the suspension.

I took the car to my mechanic and he reckons that the bearing in the passenger side [standard] top mount has given up and collapsed (before any of you start, it was the passenger side - so it must be a fat passenger, not me :lol: ;)).

Anyway, three questions really:
1. Does this sound right?
2. Has anyone else had this and if so do you know the part number I need - I'd much rather get it off here than off the local nissan parts bloke :lol: and if so any approximate costs?
3. Is it worth changing the other side at the same time or will it not matter?

Cheers

Paz

antgtir

If the spring hasn't snapped which is pretty obvious to spot as long as you look properly then sounds viable. Has this mechanic looked at the bushes and knuckles the suspension arm is connected to to see if there is any play in those rather than the top mount bearings??

Have you tryed re aligning the spring, if you jack the car up and take the wheel off you should be able to see if the spring has moved or has been moving as there will be scuff marks, try re seating the spring, these are just simple things to look for before you start changing expensive parts.

Not sure on the part number though, maybe ring Nissan and enquire what the probably cost will be and i bet that will be the max lol at least you will know where you stand then.

Ant. :wink:

O

Odin

If you need top mounts i'v got a pair of standard one's and a nearly new set of cusco mounts in the garage going spare :wink: .

rob

paz

antgtir said:
If the spring hasn't snapped which is pretty obvious to spot as long as you look properly then sounds viable. Has this mechanic looked at the bushes and knuckles the suspension arm is connected to to see if there is any play in those rather than the top mount bearings??

Have you tryed re aligning the spring, if you jack the car up and take the wheel off you should be able to see if the spring has moved or has been moving as there will be scuff marks, try re seating the spring, these are just simple things to look for before you start changing expensive parts.

Not sure on the part number though, maybe ring Nissan and enquire what the probably cost will be and i bet that will be the max lol at least you will know where you stand then.

Ant. :wink:
I'm pretty sure all thats been checked fella, these guys are normally pretty good when it comes to stuff like this.

V - how much are you looking for? :cry: :lol:

Paz