Cold idle 1500 warm 1750

Dasilva

I have had this problem since transferring another engine into the car

It starts every time but idling far to high, there are no ECU codes (55) it dose have a HKS SSQ BOV and 550cc injectors. Unplugged the TPS the other day (haven't had chance to test signal) made no difference. Was wondering if its the sensor that controls the warm idle but that wouldn’t explain the cold idle.
Could the TPS do all of this will check the out put latter in the week.

An ideas greatly appreciated

thanks

B1Ad3

the AAC valve under the intake is probably clogged full of carbon, try cleaning that and see if it fixes the issue.

soin

i think a lot of Rs have idling problems with no definitive remedy , mines the same idles all over the 1000 -2000 rpm range hot and cold . annoying to say the least

kev GTI-R

Your troubles are exactly the same as mine, i have tried just about everything apart from cleaning the AAC valve!!!. Might give that a go

Dasilva

thanks.... After meeting Pulsarboby yesterday he suggested checking the throttle bodies to make sure they are balanced correctly.Need to have a read through the workshop manual first to work out what they should be set to.

Oh and check the TPS.

B1Ad3

Dasilva said:
thanks.... After meeting Pulsarboby yesterday he suggested checking the throttle bodies to make sure they are balanced correctly.Need to have a read through the workshop manual first to work out what they should be set to.

Oh and check the TPS.
When you find out tell me because i want to know how to align the butterflies and check them.

Dasilva

Had a read through the workshop manual and i couldn't find anything regard a factory vacuume setting didn't even mention how to do this.

Hopfully on saturday going take it round to a friends garage and attach the four vacuum pipes/gauges.

J

jpward

Dasilva said:
Had a read through the workshop manual and i couldn't find anything regard a factory vacuume setting didn't even mention how to do this.

Hopfully on saturday going take it round to a friends garage and attach the four vacuum pipes/gauges.
There are four end caped pipes beside the injectors you will need to get the 4 pipes onto and then its easy enough to adjust the rods.

L-3man

I had the same problem in the end my engine blew up,just got a recon engine but the guy who took my old engine said it was running lean even though it was idleing high?

Dasilva

i hope your wrong this engine replaces the engine that went wrong before.

I did check the TPS last week all was fine idle 0.47
Ran the four vacuum gauges..... cylinders 2,3,4 were all nicely balanced the first was slightly higher tried adjusting using the screw but it was down as far as it could go.
Need to adjust the throttle arm stopper down then adjust from there.

Dasilva

well i backed of the throttle stopper on the left (piston 1,2) and the idle has dropped to 1500 when warm but when cold down to 1200.....progress.
Need to take the straps off the back of the manifold to adjust the other throttle stopper thing then balance the throttle bodies up again. I think the warm idle thing could be the AAC hoses or the device its self.

Got it booked in with Horsham Developments later this month to sort the high revs full boost issue. Thinks its caused by running an enlarged fuel rail and 550cc injectors on a standard ECU will see.

P

pulsarboby

ah! now you tell us:doh: that may have a little to do with it phil!

Dasilva

Have to say i didn't think the two problems would be related larger injectors causing increase in idle not after reading the various posts.

I’m right in think larger injectors on a standard ECU map would cause over fuelling due to the injectors being able to follow more fuel at a pressure that it thinks is correct (if that makes sense)?

Its fun trying to take the support straps off the manifold got down to the last three bolts (two 17mm at the bottom and one on the top left)