Clutches - Helix vs AP

A

Anonymous

Which do ya reckon?

I've heard a few say they prefer the Helix, but the question is why?

What has the Helix got that the AP hasn't or visa versa.

As far as I know they're both pretty much the same. But the AP always seems to be cheaper.

Dale

A

Anonymous

Sorry. Guess I should've put that I'm on about the paddle clutches.

K

KrissJ

isn't it to do with the amount of torque they can each handle? I've seen 2 helix ones, 1 handles in the high 200 lb/ft (Ithink) and the other one can take 328 lb/ft (£275 and £305 respectively). The AP one I've seen was the same price as the lesser Helix on but I don't know how much torque it takes. This is a subject that I'm wondering about as well. What sort of clutch is gonna be best for about 270-300bhp and what are the fitting costs like cos I've heard they're hurrendous cos the engine has to came out.

A

Anonymous

Well I know the Helix paddle is supposed to be a little lighter on the foot than the AP. But again I'm not sure on the power ratings for the AP.

I know they do 2 variants a 4 and a 6 paddler (for AP that is).

I've read in some places that the most recent model of the Helix organic can handle 330 lb/ft of torque. Yet I've read elsewhere that this is the figure for the paddle.

There was a deal on here a while ago for the organic Helix (the 330 lb/ft type) for £305.

chrisniss91

KrissJ said:
what are the fitting costs like cos I've heard they're hurrendous cos the engine has to came out.
There's a couple of people on this forum who fit clutches a lot cheaper than tuners/garages :wink:

A

Anonymous

How about for fitting a gearbox?

I've been quoted around 400 quid to fit one. But they said they'd not charge labour for fitting a clutch and flywheel at the same time. Which is understandable really.

I think I'm gonna probably go for the Helix in the end but I was just tempted by the AP simply because it was £50 cheaper.

turblio

I had a Helix Organic fitted by mike ex gtir bout july and it has taken some abuse since then, anything up to 350bhp pending on boost :twisted:
and it seems quite happy at the mo although it slips if launch by fast clutch
release so its not a spin the wheels off the line job
Frank

A

Anonymous

Well I'm a spin the wheels off the line kinda guy. I wanna pretty stong ass clutch so that's the reason I was gonna go for a paddle jobbie. It needs to hold up to a lot of 1/4 mile runs.

I think both the Helix and AP are a quite good price for paddle clutches. And as I said I was only more tempted by the AP simply because it's cheaper. Is there any reason for this or are they both pretty much the same?

Mr GTiR

watch out if you get a paddle clutch cos it put's a lot more stress on your box.

i have asked this question many a times 'organic V's paddle'.

in the end it seems that the organic 'slips' a little, not too much to make you spin but is not as harsh on the box as a paddle.

i'm trying to save up for a Helix oeganic that will take 350bhp :D

A

antilag

yeh i think ya forgetting the week point os the gearbox its best to go for the spfter clutch really as the slip will take the strain off the box a little cos the box will break with a paddle and that much power at sum point anyway

O

Olly

Launch it alot? use a paddle? and save fitty quid with a different clutch??????? better start saving now far a new box and mountings mate etc.... :lol: :lol:

Tony

I`ve had the Helix and AP organic clutch plates, with the helix cover.

The centre came appart on both coz the plate they use is sh*te.

I`ve now gone for a paddle, would never get a organic again.

How many others have had this problem with the organic plates, i know of about 4 people that its happened to.

Tony....

A

Anonymous

Olly said:
Launch it alot? use a paddle? and save fitty quid with a different clutch??????? better start saving now far a new box and mountings mate etc.... :lol: :lol:
Well I'm collecting another box for it on Saturday hopefully. As this has already gone.

So I thought I'd save on the labour costs and get the clutch and flywheel in now.

Before the gearbox gets put in, is there anything else that's worth upgrading. As you said "mountings etc".

I'm pretty set on getting the AP paddle now and I'll probably order it tomorrow. But if any of you guys can really say that the AP is a bad choice then speak now.

Cheers
Dale

S

srbpower

I'd say the AP is fine mate, we've had no complaints from the ones we've provided. If you had an S14 200sx I'd say Exedy any day but there have been problems with these on the RNN14 so I wouldn't dream of it. Shows how things are different in the 2 cars doesn't it.

I'm sure you'd be happy with the AP. Enjoy.

Regards

Dan

A

Anonymous

Ok, excellent.

Yeah I'm steering well clear of the Exedy after some of the stories I've heard.

Thanks

S

srbpower

Yeah, not sure exactly why there's problems with the Exedy in the R but it's fine in the 200's and it's exactly the same plate etc. Anyway, I'm not at all offended that you haven't called me to order your AP :lol: :D

Hope it goes ok dude, enjoy!

Dan

A

Anonymous

Sorry mate.

No offence meant by not ordering it from you. I'm just a tight arse and like to shop around for the best prices possible.

This one that I found for £300 is the 4 plate version. Can you tell me... What's the advantages/dissadvantages comparing the 4 plate to the 6 plate? Because looking on RC Developements they mention the 6 plate version then say "FOR TRACK USE+ DRAG STRIP" use the 4 plate.

I wouldn't thought: more plates = the ability to handle more torque.

S

srbpower

It should be £352.50 for the paddle. The organic is more like that price so double check won't you.

Basically the less plates it has the more "race-y" it is. The more plates it has, the longer it should last in terms of daily use, but it won't be as good for strip use. We advise 3 paddles where possible if it's going to be used on the strip and where AP is concerned, obviously that means 4 paddle.

Hope that helps.

Dan