Clutch ?

frp

Ok now ive read lots, but i want peoples opinions. :?
Ive been running an exedy organic clutch for quite a while now but due to alot of rough treatment and a bit of stupidity it has decided to retire:doh:
Now when loading up in 4th at approx 3250rpm the clutch just lets go and in a flash that revlimiter is bouncing like i dont know what. This clutch imo has been brilliant and i would recommend it to anyone. i was told it will take 400lb's of torq ? may be? I only have circa 350ftlb. For now anyway.
So what i would like to know is.. has anyone driven with the exedy organic and exedy paddle, what did you think? pros cons.
Also have the exedy organic users moved onto a better clutch which they' d recommend?
And to the non exedy users with big torq figures what do you use and whats the verdict (good or bad)
thanks
steve

frp

have you driven with an exedy davey? i assume the os giken will be a tad heavy especially in traffic and transfer more pressure to the drive train??
steve

davey red.r

yes had them before,
the giken aint as heavy as people think,
its snappy in slow moving traffic ,but like anything else, you get used to it, ive been living with mine now for a year,with no probs:-D
i evan like the metal to metal sound now pulling away in 1st:)
hated it when i first got it.wouldnt have any other clutch now,
its getting put to the test soon,
im ready for remapp to hopefully 400bhp,
and get to use it for what i got it for:-D

davey;-)

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

as davey says! the os giken is one of the best if not the best on the market, its not heavy like some of the paddle jobbies but does have a sharp biting point (rps to name but one which i dont like at all)
exedy/dk, ap, helix are all good clutches though, but if your running around 400 mark then your torque figures likely to be around 380 which is toooo much for an organic clutch (especially if you launch it) i reckon youll need to upgrade to a paddle, or if youve got the money then get a giken unit

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You could just get the Exedy Twin Plate.. There are loads of options out there..

P

pulsarboby

yes i recently sold one of those and they are an excellent clutch, but not a direct fit for gtir as the flywheel holes need drilling out as they were primarily designed for the 200sx.
also theres little difference pricewise between those and an os giken unit, so i would go for the latter of the two tbh

frp

kirko
ive got an exedy organic its been in for the last 4 years
and you know how i drive
4 years but not too many miles eh dave :lol:

think this has done 4-5k miles atleast with alot of abuse, launches etc. its even in its 2nd box after 4th gear going in the last one :doh:
Tbh im tempted to put the same back in as its such a good clutch but im affaid it won't hack the extra power thats on its way. (infact no it wont take it)
ive thought about the exedy twin/triple plates (carbon?) but im not sure if its worth paying out the money, to then start drilling holes etc :roll:
Although if they are really that good id probably consider it. I suppose looking at it another way would this be ott for the performance of my R? or is it worth spending that bit extra and going ott ?
Thanks for the input so far anyway!
steve

frp

sorry fella :oops:

you see my point though ? while this is a brilliant piece of kit like everything else it has limits!
I think if you 'd been on the road ( :shock: ) instead of upgrading you would have destroyed your clutch, along with most of the parts on your car. and probably most of the tarmac around here :lol: :lol:

I think its one of those all or nothing situations, the exedy is brilliant but aparantly not up to the task. so i either use another and probably kill it or invest in a worthy piece of kit

dont you just love these crates :thumbsup: :frusty: :frusty:

steve