clutch problem

Garef

Only recently my clutch pedal has developed a habit of sticking down when i pressed it and held it in for say 10 seconds, only happened randomly, and by sticking my toes under it and pulling it, it would come back up. However today I was in town and it was doing it every couple of minutes, before it eventually started to fall to the floor without me even touching it, sometimes it would jam it in gear and to stop the car I would have to hold the brake until it would stall, really safe I know, happened a few times on the motorway on the way home and I was having to reach into the footwell to pull it up with my hand. I've done a search and checked all the usual problems people have mentioned in the past, there's no leaks in either footwell and no fluid on the clutch pedal, I also checked the slave cylinder and there are no leaks.
Any other suggestions on things I can check, help is always appreciated, cheers.

.jambo.

hey mate sory to hear you are havin probs with the car.it done it with me once but never thought nothin of it.as the clutch never slipped was told when i got the car an organic clutch had been fitted recently.

Garef

Hey Jambo, no bother mate, I'm not holding u responsible at all, the rest of the car is great and this is the only time i've been pissed off driving it, more so because it wasn't safe.

I don't know what kind of clutch is on it Andy, Jambo owned the car before me so anything he says is more accurate than me guessing.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
It could be that the seals have failed, mine have in the past, but I could not see any fluid loss as it was leaking and evaporating before I could see it.

However, the symptoms you've mentioned do not sound 100% to what I’ve had in the past, but it could be that the clutch fork maybe bending?
I’ve got an RPS max street. I’ve had problems with the heavy spring rate from the clutch bending the fork on several occasions. It could be that, is the pedal heavy?

P

Pascal

I'm interested in how this turns out... mine did it a few times when it was real cold last winter, now it's been fine for the summer... just waiting to see if problem comes back with cold weather. Don't know if it's related....

Garef

The pedal is quite stiff to push, but having driven a few of my mates cars I wouldn't say that it was any more stiff than any other car to be honest, and it's less stiff than my mate who was running a helix organic.
It's the fact that the pedal has just decided to drop randomly a few times today that concerns me the most.
Just had a look at it with my old man and if you press the pedal lightly and slowly it eventually falls on it's own, however I was watching the slave cylinder while he was doing this and there is no movement in that at all, I hope that makes sense, I'm hopeless at explaining things sorry, still trying to learn things on the car as well.

Garef

No, haven't changed the fluid, my mates coming to have a look at it this evening so I'll get back with an update then.

youngsyp

I had a similar problem, a few years back. It turned out to be the OE clutch hose had a very small hole in it and, when the clutch peddle was pressed for any extended period of time, the pressure would build, cause the hole to open and thus, not allow the peddle to come back up.

Check round the clutch pipe and see if it's wet. If it isn't, it's more than likely a dodgy seal on your master or slave cylinder. You shoulc still see a bit of fluid around these respective area's though.

If you can't find anything, bleed the clutch and see if that cures it.

Garef

Mate came up and stripped the slave, reckons the seals are worn, I'm gonna try repair it the mora, I'll keep u lot posted, cheers.

P

Pascal

Garef said:
Mate came up and stripped the slave, reckons the seals are worn, I'm gonna try repair it the mora, I'll keep u lot posted, cheers.
Nice, I guess I should tackle this job on mine before winter hits then.
Thanks for the tip.

KF79GTIR

I had the same problem with mine last year before it went bang it turned out to be the hydraulic hose worth checking if you havnt already.