Clutch Master Cylinder Leaking

Gray

Took my car in for a service last week and they informed me my clutch master cylinder is leaking. They said I can top it up? But I don't know where? And what do I top it up with?

It's getting near impossible to get it into any gears and it wont go in first have to jam it in 2nd to start off.

Just need a quick fix for now til I can get it into be fixed.

O

Odin

You top it up with brake fluid you numpty :lol: :lol: .

If you look at the left hand rear of the engine bay you will notice two reservoir's, the bigger lower one is the brake reservoir and the smaller one that sits the highest and is attached to a bracket bolted to the firewall is the clutch reservoir :wink: .

rob

O

Odin

But topping it up every 5 min's doesn't fix the problem does it matey :roll: , A new master cylinder will cost you about £80-£90 from nissan and another 2-3 hours labour to replace.

Or I suppose you could just brake the car like the rest of the useless fools on the forum :? :roll: :roll: :roll: .

rob

Gray

I thought it was there, its in like a small cloudy bottle, I looked in it and its at the max point? When I press my clutch in its making a scratching noise and with the clutch fully pressed to the floor its just where the bite point is so i can just about jam it into a gear. What else would cause this?

I'm not going to keep topping it up it's just til I can get it into a garage.

O

Odin

It could be that the fluid is getting past the rotten seals.

There's lots of things to look out for on a pulsar as far as clutch problems go :cry: :cry: .

1 f ooked master or slave cylinder.
2 clutch.
3 clutch pedal bracket.
4 leaking clutch hose.
5 clutch fork broken.

If it is the cylinder, If I where you I'd get both the master and slave changed at the same time as well as the clutch hose as well, I had my master go and I changed all 3 and have never had a problem since 8) .

If you think about it there all pretty much the same age, so if one goes it stands to reason that the other parts in the system will soon fail if you add a nice fresh new cylinder :wink: .

But with out being able to look at your motor I can't really give you a def answer :cry: sorry.

rob

N

Ninj-r

Get it replaced, mine has been leaking for a while & is gonna be fixed (along with some other stuff as soon a rally design SEND MY F*CKING BRAKES!)

You will otherwise be topping it up every few days & it leaks down the pedal & soaks into the carpet, also makes the clutch pedal extreamly slippery :shock:

Gray

Oh right well i have nothing leaking on the carpet or clutch
like i said i checked the resvoir and its full?? What would cause the scratching noise as I press the pedal? Is the clutch dieing a death?

Gray

The scratching noise comes from the engine and continues happening aslong as i have my foot pressed on it, its not the pedal itself makin the scratching noise :(

Gray

someone said that last night to me I think about the release bearing
Is it an easy thing to fix?

I take it my master cylinder fluid cant be leaking much if its still at the max in the resevoir?

Gray

i hope its not that then lol
might take it to a garage after work if i can get it there
would a release bearing fault explain the scratchin noise coming from the engine when i have the clutch pressed in. as its got worse the scratching noise has got less :?

ChrisS

someone said that last night to me I think about the release bearing
Is it an easy thing to fix?
vpulsar wrote:
5 clutch fork broken.

mine went on me and had to have the engine and box out to fix this
Same for doing the release bearing :(

Why did the garage say it was the master cylinder? If it has gone you should be seeing fluid on the clutch pedal and the resevor going down. Have you checked the fluid to see what colour it is? If its black/murky then seals will probably have gone. Seal kit for the slave cylinder is only £5 and takes about 20mins to swop.

O

Odin

As has been said it could be your clutch release bearing, It maybe that even your clutch has had it also. Do you know how long it's been in?.,

If it is the bearing then it's an engine out job. And a new clutch while your at it, As it doesn't make sense to leave the old one in :idea: .

rob

ChrisS

Release bearings can be noisy.
Cant remember which way round it is, but does the noise disappear when the clutch is pressed in or out?

Gray

No idea how long the clutch has been in. Sounding like this is gonna cost me a pretty penny fantastic.

Gray

The fluid is a golden p*ss colour fluid like the brake fluid so its not dirty
the noise goes away when the clutch is out

car drives fine once its in gear

ChrisS

If the fluids not dirty then you can more or less rule out master/slave/hose problems then.

Have you tried adjusting the biting point at all ?