clutch & gearbox queries/probs

K

KrissJ

Recently I've been gettin a whining sound in 1st gear but it only does it in 1st and when its cold. Once warmed up it goes. Does anyone know what this could be?

Also, in the last couple of months my clutch has slipped twice in 5th. That's only twice mind, on 2 seperate occasions on the motorway. Its never slipped in any other gears. Could these 2 probs be connected? Does the slip definately mean the clutch is going or could it be the master cylinder or summat as its only done it these 2 times?

Any suggestions are appreciated but as is with these cars, I fear the worst!

Curtis

Change your gearbox and transmission oil if this has not been done recently and see if that solves the whine. As for your clutch, slipping in 5th on the motorway does sound like the clutch is on the way out, but check your master and slave cylinder for any leaks first and make sure the level is topped up.

K

KrissJ

cheers for the advice, I'll check it on the weekend :D

The gearbox oil was changed recently though as I had an oil seal replaced and I changed the clutch fluid the other week.

How can I tell if the master and slave cylinders are working/not working properly?

K

KrissJ

Yeah but what I mean is, what am I looking for/what should happen? Tbh, I'm not even sure where they are :oops: I just pick things up as I go and I've never done this before.

I just looked at my clutch fluid and its merky. Should it be cos I changed it not long ago and obviously it was clear when it went in? The only reason I changed it was cos it was really dark n scummy and I made sure I pumped new fluid through and through till it was runnin clear. :?

Curtis

The slave is on top of the gearbox clearly visable from the front of the car and the master is on the bulk head left hand side. If you get someone to operate the pedel you should see them moving.
The fluid going merky is the seals inside the master cylinder breaking down, it will over time go merky anyway long before it causes a problem, but fluid running down your clutch pedel is a good sign that the cylinder is knackered.

E

ExoDet

As for the whining in first, if it goes away when the clutch is pressed, then it is most likely the input shaft bearing. Over time it will start doing it in all gears and then the bearing collapses and destroys the gearbox :shock:

K

KrissJ

Cheers for the advice! Theres no fliud comin down the pedal but I'll have a go n try to sort the probs.

K

KRS

As for the whining in first, if it goes away when the clutch is pressed, then it is most likely the input shaft bearing. Over time it will start doing it in all gears and then the bearing collapses and destroys the gearbox
:!: :shock: :(

Should I stop driving now? Thats exactly what mine is doing, Its done it since I bought the car, but gradually its got worse (not to loud though). I was planning new gearbox/Tranny oils for next weekend.

Any advice on what to do?

K

KRS

Im not really sure, Im gonna top the oils and fit my clutch cylinders, My master is leaking but in the confusion i ordered a slave to.

I have had a twin plate clutch since I bought the car, It makes all sorts of sounds im not used to.

Think i need to come to a meet and get some of you more experianced guys to have a listen.

B

Brett G

Kriss if you only just changed the clutch fluid then it could be over filled, this happened to me on a brand new clutch so I knew it wasn't the clutch!
Bleed the system, there is a nipple on the slave cylinder that you can get to from the top :wink:

Brett

K

KrissJ

It shouldn't be over filled. I bled the system when I did it and its filled up to the 'max' line in the little bottle thing where you put it in.

Doesn't this mean I've got the level right? I bled it by gettin someone (thanks mum) to pump the clutch 5 times n hold it down. Then loosen the bleed thing so the clutch is pressed down to the floor, then tighten the bleed thing up. I kept repeating this until all the fluid coming out was clear and it was all fluid and no air. This is right isn't it? Is there a way I can tell I've done it correctly?

Cheers :D

B

Brett G

That sounds fine but all I know is that I had exactly the same problem and bled it similarly to you, it was then that I noticed the problem and so I just bled some more fluid out so the level was a bit lower and it was totally fine after that! :? :wink:

Where abouts is the biting point? If its very high then this is more than likely the problem I would of thought.

Brett

K

KrissJ

The biting point is a bit higher than it used to be but not right at the top or anything. I thought a really high biting point was a sign that your clutch was near its end?

Thanks for the advice, I'll try bleeding some of the fluid out and see what happens, although its only ever happened twice anyway so I spose I won't really know. And I'm drivin like a granny at the moment (slowly, not exceedingly high revs everywhere I go :wink: ) to try n conserve petrol n stop anything going wrong cos I'm totally skint til the end of the month :(