clutch fluid

• Thread starter Ninja_tune_factory
  • Start date
N

Ninja_tune_factory

hi all

last nite when i was drivring around, i was finding it had to get my R in to gear, so i stoped in a petrol staytion and found that i had no clutch fluid. :shock: :!: :!: :shock:

has anyone ever lost there clutch fluid? and where do u fink its gona. :?:

the day befor i had my R on the ramp and i just had i look over it and i cood not see any leacking from the box

also in 1st gear the engin seem to rev rilly hight :? ,so at frest i thort my cluch was sliping but i went up a steep hill in 5th and the dame thing wood not slip so i dont fink my cluch is gone :? , but has any lost there clutch fluid befor .

hope someone can help

thanks lionel

E

Edd

check the pipe going from slave cylider, it runs across the top of the gearbox, that usually splits, so see if the top of the gearbox is wet at all.

MarkTurbo

chrisniss91 said:
Whatabout the master cylinder as well
Yeah, have a look at the carpet behind the clutch pedal. If its damp the master cylinder may need replacing. I had this on my car a couple months after i got it :(

A

Anonymous

Ive got the same prob on my R, left me straded on a round about before with no fluid :roll:

Split hose leaking on the gearbox..

Shaun

:D I had it on my 'R',rub your hand down the clutch pedal,if its wet then the seals have gone.Mine had only just started,but thought it better to change it ASAP before having any more probs :!: The master cylinder was
£90 from Nissan which was the easy part :!: :!: Fitting it is another story :!: :!:

J

JamesB

only recently got my r & have a similar prob, the fluid keeps going down (1cm every couple weeks) but even when shes full its still hard to engage - pedal has to be on the floor. Is this still the slave cyl??

jonee

wats the matter with no clutch fluid.drive it without using the clutch :D
i drove mine home from blu water to near dover wen mine lost its fluid

P

Phil_d74

Will this seems to be a fairly common problem, my slave cylinder is also p*ssing fluid out over my gearbox casing, I have just found a replacement for £35 +vat though so not the end of the world! :wink:

Not sure how difficult it is going to be to fit but will give it ago :?: :!:

J

J-GTi-R

JamesB said:
only recently got my r & have a similar prob, the fluid keeps going down (1cm every couple weeks) but even when shes full its still hard to engage - pedal has to be on the floor. Is this still the slave cyl??
You've probably got air in the system and you need to bleed it out. Luckily very simple to do, did it yesterday on a mate's car.

N

Ninja_tune_factory

i fink i found the leack it comeing from where the pedla gos in to the rubber sleve in side the car :evil:

do the sound right ?

J

JamesB

thanks - is that a home jobbie or need to go to a workshop? Is there a how to guide somewhere... cheers

N

Ninja_tune_factory

how hard is it to do.............my clutch master cylineder lecked all the fluid over the inside of the car to day :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
dus the job need to be dun from under the car ?

it look like a c**t of a job.

J

J-GTi-R

It's a two man job, as someone needs to pump the pedal while you bleed the system.

First off, take the cap off the fluid resevoir and get a bottle of clutch fluid at the ready (500mls should do it). Then find the bleed screw. If you look at the front of the engine, down to the right of the turbo, behind the intake pipe and on top of the gearbox is the slave cylinder (you should be able to see the rubber boot that goes over the pushrod). On the right of that is the bleed screw, it looks like a threaded bolt with a funny head on it. Undo that slightly and get your mate to start pumping the clutch pedal. He'll have to pull it up as well as push it, as there'll be no pressure in the system. The fluid will start coming out of the bleed screw, so keep topping up the reservoir while you do it. Any air in the system should be pushed up through the system at the same time. Once you've pumped fluid enough though and no more air bubbles are coming up, get your mate to hold the pedal up and close the bleed screw. Test the pedal for feel and clutch disengagement and it should be all done. You may want to use a bleeder kit, which is a small hose that fits over the bleed nipple and goes into a bottle, otherwise you'll have clutch fluid all over the ground in front of your car (not really a problem, just a tidyness thing).

Sorry if any of this is too simple, but I'm just making sure I don't miss anything out.

Shaun

:D Right are we sitting comfortably :?: Its more time consuming and fiddly than difficult :!: Remove the top mount cover(5 bolts around the sides),remove the top mount(4 bolts on the black supports,2 top and 2 bottom)and the hoses,it should pull off now :!: Right now the awkward bit,seperate the plenum chamber(all the allun bolts at the back),the top ones should be fairly easy to remove but the lower ones require a short allun bit(approx 15mm long)and a suitable spanner,this takes a while but its not impossible :!: ,there's a couple of large black pipes that might get in the way so i took off the brackets at this point and it made it alittle easier :!: Now once the plenum is split go into the car(driverside)and put your head into the foot well so you can see the pedal tops.On the brake pedal you can see a brass coloured clip,remove this and push out the pin:!: Now back to the bonnet side :!: There are 2x12mm nuts holding the master cylinder in place,remove these and extract the cylinder :!: Refitting is the opposite of removal :!: Hope this helps guy's :!: :D