Clutch Arm Problem

gtir350

Ok, The other day I was driving along, and the biting point was getting lower and lower,
I went to change gear, and the pedel was stuck on the floor,

I've so far ..
tryed re-filling the clutch system,
After this I removed the salve cylinder thinking this could be naf. but after removing it I noticed the clutch arm was loose and could freely move around. ( left to right )
So I'm thinking it could be a broken clutch arm, or the braring has come off ?

What else could this be ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Sounds to me you have broken the clutch pedal where it bolts to the fire wall. It is very thin and can't cope with the extra pedal force required over a normal Pulsar because of the heavier clutch. Over time it will shear off.
I know this because it happened to me a few months ago.
The fix?
Good luck. You could pull the dash out and weld it up again. Or, all i did was made another bracket a bit bigger, drilled through the sides and bolted it on. Aswell as made some reinforcing brackets. Fiddley job, no room lots of laying upside down on the seat.
Sounds rough, but i havn't had a prob since. If it happens again i'll pull the dash out.

Common with early R's

Hope that helps. Good luck

Keira

Mine broke yesterday :cry:

Mines still ok to drive just got a strange pedal feel and there was abit of a squeek. At first mike thought it might of been the bearing but closer inspection it would seem to be the release arm.

Either way its gearbox out time,

As said above are you 100% sure that it isnt the pedal support bracket up by the steering column ?

gtir350

I tought it might be the clutch pedal, but this still look's solid, and the slave piston still move's fine, Its just the clutch arm ( on gearbox ) that has no pressure,

ian c

oops

i did a clutch on a car and when cleaning the arm up, ready to reassemble with new bearing - noticed that the arm was cracked almost all the way around where it sits on the pivot.....believe this was due to the car running an uprated clutch and had heavy pedal.......

i looked into it at work and found that nissan made a heavy duty clutch release fork for the WRC car.....3.6mm instead of std 3.0mm (i think)....anyway, couldn't get hold of one - shame!

sorry to hear the news mate - looks like you've a big job coming to replace a £20 part!

so - if i were you, i'd try and remove the rubber boot over the fork, get a torch and see if you can see anything......if the fork is rattling around, it's gonna be either the fork or pivot.....unless the pressure plate finger springs have failed - but doubt it!

gtir350

Update: I took the car to a local garage that I trust and they were able to remove the gearbox on its own in a few hours.

And yep, The clutch arm has snapped.

Bad new tho. I;ve only done a few ?000 miles on the clutch and its worn away, it was a helix clutch only had 2 santapod starts.
So he's gettin me a AP clutch Kit at cost, and also skimming the flywheel.

I also have an OS Giken clutch, but it needs new plates and I dont have the time to wait for then to arrive from japan any good uk ppl that can get os giken parts ? :?:

Dave.