clutch - ap organic or helix organic

which one then

• Total voters
D

DodgeT

i know i know, ive read all the posts i can find about clutches, but there does not seem to be anything to decide which one of the above to go for..

ap organic rated to 284 lb/ft £280, seems to be plenty of people using them, but sounds as if they are prone to problems.

helix organic 320ish lb/ft £320, doesnt seem to be as widely used, but havent read anything bad about them.

car is booked in on the 15th march to have clutch changed, so im trying to decide which one of the 2 above.

car will be running 1 - 1.2 bar boost, but by what ive read, they both should be ok for that.

So... if you were changing your clutch, which would you go for.....

please vote :D :D

A

Anonymous

ap for me.gave me no problems when i was running between 1.4-1.6 bar and great aftersales service/technical help.

ex-gtir

i would say they are much of a much ness at the end of the day oth cover shells are made by daikin (excedy) they just put their own guts in it
i think the design of the helix organic plate is better though
i much prefered the old ap much stronger in my opionon
mike

Mr GTiR

i've just gone and ordered my Helix uprated organic for my car. I told them the spec of my car and they said that one of their uprated organics will do the job nicly... :D

Shaun

:D My mate has just had an AP Organic fitted at Hiteq,seems very errrm(looking for words)sharp,aggresive,springy,gives your left leg a good workout,vibrates the car like roaddrill takeing up the bite,but delivers the power very well.You also forget all these traits when you build up speed :!:

A

Anonymous

Shaun said:
:D My mate has just had an AP Organic fitted at Hiteq,seems very errrm(looking for words)sharp,aggresive,springy,gives your left leg a good workout,vibrates the car like roaddrill takeing up the bite,but delivers the power very well.You also forget all these traits when you build up speed :!:
sounds more like he`s had a cerametallic/paddle clutch rather than an organic.you`d be hard pressed to tell the difference between an ap organic and a std clutch.possibly just a tiny bit more effort required to press the pedal right home but certainly not enough to give the left leg a workout.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I got the Helix Organic from Hiteq just b4 Xmas - awesome clutch, can handle lots of power and ain't too harsh on y' left leg.

From all the comments made already, you'll see that people rate them almost equally, but as you've already found, the Helix gives more clamping pressure than the AP, so less chance of burning y'clutch from abuse :twisted:

A

AZ STE

I also took ages to decide on which to fit after a lot of discussion went for Helix Organic :wink:

D

DodgeT

glad i asked this question, as i had my mind set on an AP, but so far, it seems that Helix is the preffered choice.

cheers guys,

keep the comments & votes going tho,, cus theres a couple of days before i need to order one.

:D

J

J-GTi-R

I decided by talking to people who had each of the clutches fitted and by jumping into their cars and trying out their pedals. It must have been a while since oap-r had an AP in his, as it's considerably more heavy than the standard clutch. The Helix isn't much heavier than standard, it just gets to a point then springs out at you (cue much bunny-hopping while you get used to it). The Helix is far more traffic-friendly and my missus prefers it to the standard clutch.

D

DodgeT

well, after much head scratching, :? , ive gone and ordered an AP organic.

votes are currently at 43% for ap & 56% for helix (dunno wot happened to the other 1%?)

deciding factor.... ive read & been told a couple of times that they both use an exedy cover, however, it seems that helix use the std cover, whereas AP use an uprated(or uprate it themselves?) exedy cover, hence why the pedal is perhaps harder.

On a side note, the AP will be delivered to my door for £284, whereas helix will be £320 ish, so the money saved there will go to lightening/balancing me flywheel.

end of the day, theres probably not much in it :?

fingers crossed :D

S

Sirnixalot

i have the AP....im pissed now cause i dont know if i got an old or a new one.

I know i got mine 2 years ago so i tihnk its the old one which holds 320bhp. Least i hope it is. :?

A

Anonymous

Sirnixalot said:
I know i got mine 2 years ago so i tihnk its the old one which holds 320bhp.
320bhp :?: :shock: :shock: i expected better of you :!:

S

Sirnixalot

lol...well i would rather replace a clutch disk than a gearbox wouldnt you? I built my car with specific weak points.....ones that i have more control over. Also im only running 1bar till i get forged pistons and rods. I think ill make more than 320bhp on 1bar but like said above....