Clutch again!!

gunmetalgtir

I've fitted an rps street max clutch, new master n slave cylinders, new pivot fork, new release bearing, and I'm still having problems!! The first 5 mins of the day my car is fine, then it wont go into gears or get stuck in get and its as if the clutch isnt disengaging. If I'm sitting in traffic lights I need to keep my foot on the brake so it doesnt pull forward and when I do that the revs drop and it cuts out. Anyne got any ideas as to what it could be???

J

justin666

I take it the biting point is VERY low then.?? ie, right near the floor.???

Try adjusting the pedal and moving the bite up a bit. My RPS was the same when I had it fitted. Very low bite and it would get worse as the car got warmer. Adjusted the pedal, Bled and changed the clutch fluid and problem solved :thumbsup:

J.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
With my RPS I had replaced the fork and all the ancillaries around it.

At the start the biting point was right at the top, over a month it dropped towards the floor and stopped there. I can change gear no problems, but I wondered if perhaps had a bedding in period?

I'll look at adjusting my peddle today and see if it changes at all.

Last edited:

gunmetalgtir

Yeah its been changed, I've bled the clutch and changed the fluid when the pivot fork etc was changed and its still the same!! :(

P

pulsarboby

sorry to butt in, but how much was clutch, and who supplies them?
have you had flywheel skimmed or lightened? as clearance will be effected! ie clutch would have to be pushed further to disengage as clearance from release bearing to pressure plate will be more, if so you should be able to take this up on pedal adjustment.

J

justin666

gunmetalgtir said:
Yeah its been changed, I've bled the clutch and changed the fluid when the pivot fork etc was changed and its still the same!! :(
have you tried adjusting the biting point further up the pedal to see if that cures it.???? one turn on the master cylinder rod makes the world of difference ;-)

Pulsarboby. RPS Clutches can be sourced from SRBpower for about 300 quid. That includes the release bearing.

J.

Last edited by a moderator:

gunmetalgtir

yup clutch pedal has been adjusted and makes no difference!!

I've taken the clutch out of the car and 3 garages have all told me that its faulty!! The pressure plate has heat spots all over it and the centre of the clutch is wearing away, the cars hardly been on the road since its been fitted to my car due to the amount of problems I've had with it!

Phoned SRB Power earlier, they were suppose to phone me back. No one called!! Phoned them just before they closed and Daniel told me that theres only 180 days warranty on it, but he's told me to send it down to him so that he can take a look at it. Now I've got the hassle and the cost of having to send the clutch back to them, plus my cars sitting in the garage without an engine in it until I get this sorted!!

NOT HAPPY!!!

gunmetalgtir

Sent the clutch back to SRB and they said that the release bearing was cracked, this was also supplied by SRB. They blaimed it on not being fitted correctly, however having this clutch fitted by a very respectable garage I have full faith in them to have fitted this correctly.

SRB are now basically saying a big fat up yours and don't want anything to do with it unless I can prove the clutch was faulty before it was put in the car!!!

Totally raging about this as they know fine well that there is no way that I can prove this!!

P

pulsarboby

if i were you buddy, i would go back to the garage that fitted the clutch for you, and tell them what srb power have told you!someone is at fault, and it isnt you!you should have really took it back to the garage ages ago, when you first found there was a problem, and insisted you wanted it sorted out.it would then be down to the garage to sort it out, if they found it was a faulty clutch which you had bought, they should have been able to back this up in writing for you.i would bullshit srb power and say that unless you supply me with a new clutch, i will take full proceedings against your company including labour costs etc, as i have firm backing and proof from a major clutch installer that this clutch was fitted correctly.then cross your fingers and hope that this may force them into doing something.you could also say that you are a member of various motoring organisations and clubs and you will make sure that their name is tarnished for shoddy customer service and relations.good luck

gunmetalgtir

Cheers mate, I have already spoke to the place that fitted it and they weren't too happy about what SRB had said!! He was going to pphone SRB so I'm going to call him over the next few days to find out what was said!

I did take the car back to the garage that fitted it who told me that they thought that it was the clutch that was causing it! It backed up what he said once the clutch was out of the car!!

abyss

justin666 said:
have you tried adjusting the biting point further up the pedal to see if that cures it.???? one turn on the master cylinder rod makes the world of difference ;-)

Is this the rod under the pedal i get a very low biting point but i also get that when the car is warm when the cltuch is fully pressed to the floor in first the car moves forward slightly can this be retificed by adjusting rod. as it really affects my launch as i have to use the handbrakes to keep the car still which does my head in.

N

Ninja_tune_factory

i had the 1st max street in the UK fitted in to my R and iv had no problemsand iv had it 2 years.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ask Dooie if he still has his in. I know he had it slip once (with no where near 475lbft) but I think it was OK after that?!?

J

justin666

No problems with my RPS either which was also supplied by SRB ;-) They have also supplied me with Coilovers, pillow ball mounts and wheels and have been extremely helpfull friendly and proffesional along the way.

I know the release barings can easily be fitted the wrong way round and ive heard of a few cars where this has happened!!!! its also easily done as the thing looks almost the same from both sides and fit either way round!!! Without knowing the full story tho I cant really comment but im just pointing out this can cause the problem you have experienced:doh: :doh: They basically crack and come apart due to the stresses involved :cry:

If it was faulty in the first place tho how come this reputable clutch fitting company didnt spot it.?????????? I think some one fooked up :doh:

abyss - correct, if you adust the rod you can alter the piting point of the clutch on the pedal. Easy but fiddly!!!! undo the lock nut on the rod by the pedal fork to enable adjustment. Wind it into the fork and the bite get lower, wind it out of the fork and the bite gets higher up the pedal. Think thats the right way round!!!! Been ages since I have done it!! 1 turn at a time and test till you find a suitable place for the bite :thumbsup:

J.

PaulB

Had my street max in for a few weeks and its a toppa, bit heavy like, but its for good power.
I also have my biting point low down, so im gonna try what justin said, hope your right :)

T

tro||

what i'd like to know is how you fit a clutch incorrectly ? and i'd ask them to explain just what they mean.

even my nan could bolt one up tbh, might struggle with the rest of the job, especially lifting and lining up the gearbox but im sure she could bolt a clutch to a flywheel and get the friction plate centred.

i may test that theory next time i do one :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The only thing I've seen suggested before was that the clutch pedal may have been adjusted too much and forcing the release bearing too far into the clutch and causing damage to the fingers.