clicking clutch

chrisniss91

Just been on a 150mile trip and when i turned my car of and then lifted up the clutch it made a ticking noise, i then drove forward to see if it happened whilst running and there was no noise :?:

A

Anonymous

check the pedal bracket, it may be about to snap on you.

kevgti-r

my pedal clicks but i found that it was the spring on the pedal. it also moves for side to side but thats the pedal bushes.

A

Anonymous

In that case could be clutch pivot fork
Most likely the pedal box ripping from the bulkhead.
There are loads of How to with how to sort it.

chrisniss91

I have bought one of those clutch support brackets from steve pudney would that help? I havent had a chance to fit it yet

J

J-GTi-R

Yes it'll help, it will greatly reduce the lateral movement. You should still check to see if the pedal box is coming off the bulkhead, but these brackets should help stop things getting worse.

J

J-GTi-R

Very fiddly. Ideally you have to take the dashboard out (time consuming but not difficult), but I have seen one car repaired with the dash in situ (the result wasn't pretty though). If you take the dashboard out you can get in there and weld it back up without too much difficulty.

J

J-GTi-R

To be honest by the sounds of it, if it is happening at all, it'll be in the very early stages and easy to catch. When it's coming away the sound is more like a bad creak than a click. It's happened to a friend's car after he put the old AP organic kit in (pretty heavy pedal) and a week later it was creaking so bad it sounded like the metal was tearing away there and then.

kyepan

try and catch it with the bracket before it tears completely, mine did and i had to have it welded.

If your in the south east torque sport welded mine and did a top job

kyepan

not considering the labour involved, they had to take the whole dash out and weld in a new support, cause the original sheered as soon as they tested the repair weld.

give them a ring and see how much.

Torque Sport
Unit 1
Lyndhurst
Chertsey Road
Shepperton
Middlesex
England. TW17 9NS

Tel/Fax: 01932 56 40 40

S

Sunny Nutter

You can keep the cost down as much as possible by removing and reassembling the whole dash yourself, then all they have to do is weld it up for you!
It happened mine some months ago.......its a bit annoying but its a handy enough job!
while your down there check that there is no fluid leaking from the clutch master cylinder, the side-to-side movement of the pedal can wear the seals in the housing and cause it to start leaking onto the carpet!
if its not leaking don't worry about it :wink:

chrisniss91

Why does it only click after driving it :?: I drove it last night stopped turned the car off then pushed the pedal down and it clicked. Then this morning i pushed the pedal down and there wasnt a sqeek :?:

J

jasegould

You don't need to remove the dash, just the speedo and clutch pedal.