clicking brake pedal

J

J-GTi-R

Just recently every time go go to hit the brakes, the pedal clicks. I've had a look around the pedal assembly but can't see anything obvious (like the pedal bracket ripping off the bulkhead) but has anyone else got any suggestions?

I'll have a good poke around today and see if I can find anything.

J

J-GTi-R

No, hate those things. I've just had a decent look with a torch and can't see anything at all that would cause it. I've done my usual 'just give it a wiggle and see if that helps' method of solving problems and will go for a test frive and see if it still does it.

W

wizgti

Let me know if you solve it as I have exactly the same problem with my clutch pedal-I've tried a support bracket but that didn't help and I couldn't see anything wrong either! I do sometimes feel it's stiffer than other times and squeaks a bit as well sometimes-something you wouldn't really feel on the brake pedal.

Ta
Andrew

J

J-GTi-R

I went for a quick drive and it seemed to stop, but I'll go for a decent blast later to make sure. From what I can see though, the brake and clutch pedals are on different brackets. I was originally worried that the noise was becase my clutch pedal was about to rip itself from the bulkhead and everythng was moving about. However the brake pedal assembly looks seperate and much better braced.

You can always try my 'wiggle it a bit' method, although that only seems to work for me...

LeeSmith

i had this the other week m8!!it was a lose caliper bolt!!! it clicked everytime i pushed the pedal or sometimes when i released it.

Just give them a wiggle b4 u take anything off if there is a little bit of play then that's what it is

J

J-GTi-R

sorry I misread the title of this thread... thought it was about clutch pedal
It is about the clutch too (trying to help Wiz out too), so cheers for trying to help.

i had this the other week m8!!it was a lose caliper bolt!!! it clicked everytime i pushed the pedal or sometimes when i released it.
Cheers, I'm getting the brakes re-bled next week, I'll get Torquesport to check the caliper mounts while they're at it.

A

Anonymous

WIZGTI- you will find it is the spring thats part of the clutch pedal, that is making that click somtimes squeek noise, ive got the same prob, but i cant see it being to serious just annoying.
J-GTI-R- mate have you checked that its not the brake master cylinder thingi, the one bolted to the fire wall, i presume all have a big braket supporting it all... but this may be flexing and causing the click, probably wrong, but could well be the problem

J

J-GTi-R

J-GTI-R- mate have you checked that its not the brake master cylinder thingi, the one bolted to the fire wall, i presume all have a big braket supporting it all... but this may be flexing and causing the click, probably wrong, but could well be the problem
Yeah I've had a good look around at the master cylinder, but the clicking is coming from inside the car so I don't think that's the problem (cheers for the suggestion tho).

J

J-GTi-R

Lol, I guess my Missus could be trying to get rid of it as her usuall method of whispering 'sell your stupid car' in my ear while I'm asleep doesn't seem to be working... :shock: :D

Curtis

J-GTi-R said:
Cheers, I'm getting the brakes re-bled next week, I'll get Torquesport to check the caliper mounts while they're at it.
Let me know how they get on bleeding your brakes, I think I'm going to have to pop over there so they can have a go at mine to try and solve the squealing.

W

wizgti

@J-GTI-R Didn't mean to threadjack, I just figured as we had very similar problems the solution would be the same,it appears not. Thanks for the help.

@ gtir_luke. Where is this spring cos it's really pissin me off - is it hard to get too?

Thanks
Andrew

A

Anonymous

its up well past the clutch pedal braket, get on ya back in the footwell with a torch and you cant miss it, its a pretty big spring, (thats where my click noise is comming from anyway) am going to have a fiddle with it on the weekend to see if i can stop it from creaking.. just hard to get at......

J

J-GTi-R

@J-GTI-R Didn't mean to threadjack, I just figured as we had very similar problems the solution would be the same,it appears not. Thanks for the help.
No probs, I'm not one to get in the way of other people getting help (plus if you count the times I've hijacked threads... :roll: ).

Curtis, I'll let you know, just waiting for my exhaust to arrive as they're putting that on too.

T

tombola

clutch pedal bracket

:shock: my clutch pedal flexes loads ,was thinking of
bolting it to the steering colum or is there any better
ways off doing this