Clear Front Indicators

SickBoy

When i got my "R" it had clear front indicators with orange bulbs in#

One was badly cracked and resembled a fish tank for most of the year :D
Goin through my shed found a set of old ones from an import "R"

thought right replacement time peeled off the orange cover that was just glued on but inside the light is a orange globe so i thought break it with a screw driver and hook all the bits out but alas it just pushed off and rattled round the light.

In the end i filled up the light with boiling water left it a while and very carefully with a driver parted the front lense from the light very gooey now the glue is opened it just enough to get the orange bit out the pushed back together while gooey then left to dry##

hooray one clear indicator :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lee

G

GTI-R Kid

Much easier to just pop the lenses in the oven for a few mins to soften the glue so you can pull it apart.

Then put it back in to soften again so you can stick it back together. :D

S

Sharpy

I second that, done mine in 15 mins, to make the standard back indicators clear is a different story?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTI-R Kid said:
Much easier to just pop the lenses in the oven for a few mins to soften the glue so you can pull it apart.

Then put it back in to soften again so you can stick it back together. :D
What gas mark is that? and is that until golden brown? :p

G

GTI-R Kid

Sharpy said:
I second that, done mine in 15 mins, to make the standard back indicators clear is a different story?
Well i've also done the rears, but not with the same method. Just removed the lens from the car, got a screwdriver and broke the orange cover, and used a needle-nose pliers to remove all the broken bits of orange cover. :D
Fast Guy said:
What gas mark is that? and is that until golden brown? :p
Well i did mine to medium-rare - you might prefer well done! :lol:

S

Sharpy

Thats what i did to, makes it look a lot better! Hav you wired fog lights into your rear light cluster, instead ov that silly square light hanging from the rear bumper like i had? :lol:

JU5TY

GTI-R Kid said:
Well i've also done the rears, but not with the same method. Just removed the lens from the car, got a screwdriver and broke the orange cover, and used a needle-nose pliers to remove all the broken bits of orange cover. :D
This is the best way. I did it the oven way first on the fronts, it works, but the seal/look is never as good as they start out.

Both my front and back's have now been done by removing the orange lens from the inside. I used a dremel to break up the lens in the rear.

G

GTI-R Kid

Sharpy said:
instead ov that silly square light hanging from the rear bumper like i had? :lol:
Nope - is there a guide on how to do it?

Good thing about over here is, if a fog-light wasn't fitted to the car when it rolled out of the factory then its not needed to pass the NCT. So even though i don't have a fog in my rear lenses, i also don't have to have a butt-ugly square lamp hanging off the bumper either. 8)

A

Anonymous

I've seen pics on here of someone who has done this, the indicators look identical to me so I thought these might help a bit .

Osram diadem

I wouldnt do it personally but this might make em look better for you :)

S

Sharpy

When you look at the rear tail light you should hav two bulbs for this, all you do is, on the left cluster take the bulb out nearest the number plate, thats that one sorted. Now you take the other side out to and replace it with a single element bulb, you then take the wires from your dodjy one hanging from the rear and wire it into this bulb, try the switch and that should be it done.

If you dont want to go out and spend a lot ov money on those bulbs hears a cheat, you just take the standard bulbs, a tin ov silver paint and give them a light coating over the bulb, not to much, once there behind the lenses you never kno the difference, and does the same job.

MrMischief

Sharpy said:
When you look at the rear tail light you should hav two bulbs for this, all you do is, on the left cluster take the bulb out nearest the number plate, thats that one sorted. Now you take the other side out to and replace it with a single element bulb, you then take the wires from your dodjy one hanging from the rear and wire it into this bulb, try the switch and that should be it done.
That's what I did, BUT it is nowhere near the required intensity to pass a UK MOT test for a fog lamp. I went to a scrappy and found a UK Sunny then whipped the reflector (for free :mrgreen:) from the fog lamp section then fitted that to mine as well (the plastic locating pins are all identical - it just needs a wee bit glue to hold it). It's now really bright, but I still don't know if it'll pass as the lense is different to the UK version :?
I'll find out in 6 months :D

G

GTI-R Kid

Moon said:
I wouldnt do it personally but this might make em look better for you :)
Thats similar to what i have. :)

Philips silver-vision bulbs front, rear and side repeaters. Look clear from all angles, but flash amber so 100% legal. 8)

MrMischief

Sharpy said:
My car passed the MOT with the original tail lite! :lol:
Without a fog light :?:
If so, tell me where you got that MOT carried out :lol:

I got bored and took the orange covers out my front indicators, drilled them, then snapped them, then cut my fingers taking them through the hole :?
It's quite a thick section of PMMA that nissan puts in there...looks much better now with silver bulbs.

:D