Choice of Helix clutch or Exedy?

DanDud

My clutch finally shat its self today while i was at Oulton park so im after a new one.

It has a Helix organic in it at the moment (Well it did) and im unsure whether to go for the same one agen.

Having a look on POTN (I wont be buying from there) i found the normal helix organic clutch is £370 and there is also a ceremetallic one there for £420.

Or what are the Exedy clutches like?

I am starting to do lots of trackdays and the car always gets driven like i stole it so i want something that will take the abuse (Not neccessarily lauching but quick gear changes round a track) My now dead clutch has lasted me 10 months worth of abuse aswell as about a year with the previous owner so it has done pretty well.

Cheers

Dan

Lionel

Hi Dan,

ur find on this forum that the Exedy clutch are not really liked due to other members haveing problems with them.

the RPS rang is a strong rang of clutch despending on what money you want to spend

Lionel.

Mr GTiR

RPS Street Max or speak to Frank (Turboli) about the new generation Helix Racing organic.

If you can't find Frank drop me a pm and i'll pass on his details.

abyss

Lionel said:
Hi Dan,

ur find on this forum that the Exedy clutch are not really liked due to other members haveing problems with them.

the RPS rang is a strong rang of clutch despending on what money you want to spend

Lionel.
just make sure you strenegthen clutch fork if you go for this badboy well worth the money though 20+ launch on a hot day, didn't slip once.

geoff pine

Lionel said:
Hi Dan,

Lionel.
What members and what problems the only problems i've read about seams to be that the early ones were fitted with the wrong release bearing as the clutch was designed for a different car. If there are other problems it would be nice if the people that had the problems would post up instead of the usual hearsay. Mine was fitted by rc development and over four years latter im still waiting for all these problems im supposed to be having to materialise.Im not having ago at anybody just trying to see what these problems are and how long ago they took place.

O

Odin

geoff pine said:
What members and what problems the only problems i've read about seams to be that the early ones were fitted with the wrong release bearing as the clutch was designed for a different car. If there are other problems it would be nice if the people that had the problems would post up instead of the usual hearsay. Mine was fitted by rc development and over four years latter im still waiting for all these problems im supposed to be having to materialise.Im not having ago at anybody just trying to see what these problems are and how long ago they took place.

I know Edd went through 2 or 3 of these clutches in as many months :doh: :shock: , But that was years ago now and maybe like you say the problems have been fixed by now.

But I still wouldn't fit one if I was looking for a new clutch, I'd probably go for the RPS
one myself.

Rob

Mark N

I have a Excedy Clutch fitted, no problems yet! Touch wood!
Good clutch and good price for them at the moment.

P

pulsarboby

agree with thunderblob, pay the extra ang get the rps!
thats what i got in the finish rps (paddle), there built for track abuse.

did it last most of the day, or did you bail out early? how did stumo get on?

stumo

mine got the death rattle after about 8 laps, my own fault i suppose, as i didn't look at it when i had the engine out.

Last edited:

dunnergtir

I would like to ask the lad's with the exedy clutches what one's do the have fitted ? (single ,twin ,multiplate and what sort of power are they running ?
By the way has any looked at ORC clutches on nengun as they do one for the gtir ?

Mark N

Well I'm running 320bhp and 350lbft and it doesn't slip. Planning on more power too. I did put a new Nissan release bearing in though instead of a excedy one.
I'll be running track days on it as soon as it drys up and i'm pretty sure it will be fine.

ashills

exedy clutches are fine it was the way edd used to drive LOL
they use there twin plates on 1000bhp drag evos with no problems so they must do something right

gtir bean

i have the hyper single 6 paddle one.it comes complete with the flywheel.for the type of clutch it is its very good to drive and not that heavy on the pedal.im only running 1bar and never launch it but it is good for driving hard.

niklock1

I had an uprated helix organic in mine an was told it would handle 400 pound of tourque no problem, it had no problem taking 1.6 bar. if i get it back off the insurance in a few weeks i will sell it for £200 its only done 500 miles.

gtirx2

I am looking into clutch options at the moment and as in the future i would like 400+lb/ft of torque.
I must admit as yet i have never had a realy powerful R the most i ever have had is proberbly around 320 brake mark.But even so i was never keen on the helix 4 paddle i was useing around that time,this clutch used to judder and rattle about and make you cringe on the down changes if you did not blip the throttle at the noise of it eating the flywheel was not plesent.
Then i moved on to a hks super single 3 paddle plate clutch that i got out of another R i had,and i have to say i was super happy with it,far easyer to drive with than the helix no juddering or strange noises and i have given it a beating many times and not any sign of it slipping once.The only down side to this clutch is the pedal is very hard and can give you leg acae after a while.
So to where i am now pretty soon i want a gt3071r and big torque and as my hks 3 paddle middle is worn out i am not to sure on what to do about the clutch next,i have a poll going on the modifiers site but as yet i have not had much feedback.I would like to carry on useing my hks cover as i think imo they are one of the strongest single plate clutch covers you can get but i am unsure on what paddle centre plate to go for to take the power i plan so any suggestion would be help full?
I have also behine told to go for the os giken twin plate,and i have 2 of these clutches laying around in need of a rebuild [ts2b type] but the price for the frition plates is about £140 a plate and £170 for the metal middle plates if you need them plus the £45 for the thrust bearing whitch is a lot of money.I am also not sure on how long these type of clutches would last if used on the road, and the horrer storys you read of boxes blowing and things like this http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42310&highlight=giken as i have a os clutch that looks to have done the same thing.
Is it possible to get custom friction material made up on say a helix paddle center etc to take the torque i am after if so who does this?and if not does anyone have any suggestions on whitch paddle center plate to use with the hks cover to take 400-450 ib/ft of torque would the normal 3 paddle hks plate be ok if you can still buy them?
Sorry to hijack your thread a bit mate but if i was you i would proberbly go to the rps paddle and sell your helix imo, but make sure you beef up your clutch fork as i have read they snap sometimes useing the rps.

Last edited:

DanDud

abyss said:
just make sure you strenegthen clutch fork if you go for this badboy well worth the money though 20+ launch on a hot day, didn't slip once.
You mean something like the nismo clutch fork pivot that hiteq sell?

DanDud

pulsarboby said:
agree with thunderblob, pay the extra ang get the rps!
thats what i got in the finish rps (paddle), there built for track abuse.

did it last most of the day, or did you bail out early? how did stumo get on?
Think i made it to around half 10, maybe 11. Got around 15 laps in id say. Stu only got around 8 laps in and bailed around the same time unfortunatly.

edit- Oultons a fantastic track and as soon as i can, probably around the end of Easter i will be back to complete it and last more than a few hours lol

gtirx2

You would proberbly want one of them [ nismo clutch fork pivot ]and also some reinforcement welds/metal plate on the actual clutch fork aswell if you go for the rps clutch.