Cheap Front Mount I/C?

Matt Evans

Does anyone know what the deal is with these cheap Intercoolers on ebay?

Their priced at £120 'Buy It Now' for just the IC with no pipework but the price still seems really low to me. Does anyone know what kind of quality they are, and if its worth me getting one or a better known branded but more expensive one?

Matt Evans

I guess £350 for the kit ain't bad at all. It said on the Hybrid description that it would lower turbo lag, but I thought with the longer pipe run that lag would be increased? Also when I fit the kit, I'd prefer to keep the bumper looking as standard as possible. Is it possible to do this and would the number plate etc. restrict the air flow? I know I can move the number plate but If I can get away with it I don't really want to.

N

Norfy

found i had to chop my bumper about to get it to fit.
and the chrome pipework has started peeling. only had it for 4 months :shock: :shock:

mattygti-r

there is only one cooler from japan which allows you to keep the washer bottle in the same place, as well as keeping air con and also having only one hole in the wing rather than 2 for pipework

hybrid kits are good , thought jimmys was nice quality, the pipework however looked abit micky mouse (in terms of the quality of its finish)

G

GTI-R Kid

Matt Evans said:
Also when I fit the kit, I'd prefer to keep the bumper looking as standard as possible. Is it possible to do this and would the number plate etc. restrict the air flow? I know I can move the number plate but If I can get away with it I don't really want to.
Only a guess, but you could probably mount it a little further back by removing the air-con radiator (if you have air-con) and using the extra space this allows. :wink:

ram5ay

You might find the front crossmember is the limiting factor space wise as you prob want to keep the cooler low.
I managed to mount my cooler without cutting the bumper up too much, just had to take about an inch off the inside edge, and cut a section out of the metal bumper bar, just moved my number plate to the side.
:wink:

A

alfyboy

anyone seen the intercooler for £90 on ebay form torque is cheap,
anyone know if it is any good?

Matt Evans

Yes I've seen it. Plus you can get the whole kit from the same company for £225, and thats including p+p :shock: :!:

So whats the deal? Are these kits just really cheap and nasty, or are fmic kits just coming down in price?

I know that the Hybrid kit is "only" £350, but I'm only planning on running around 300bhp or just over, so is it really worth me shelling out over a hundred quid more?

I guess what I really want to know is, will this £215 kit be better than the standard ic set up, and will choosing this particular kit be a bad move for me or my car in any way? :?

D

DOT2DOT

Which one did you buy? Is it the £215 buy it now one? 28 day delivery?

D

DOT2DOT

Let me know when its fitted please mate, im very tempted to buy one but ill wait to see what you think of yours first.

Matt Evans

O.k. mate. It does actually state on the item description that the GTi-R kit is a perfect fit. So I guess they have to be telling the truth or they would be false advertising :?: :?

I'll let you know as soon as its fitted; probably won't be for a bit though as I'm still waiting for ex-gtir to get back to me about changing my clutch :!:

A

alfyboy

would be good to know how this works out, let us know,
i quite fancy this aswell :D