center diff

P

pimppulsar

i've been speaking to simon norris about this problem as i really badly light up my front left wheel when i launch and its getting worse!! :oops:

he wants me to send him my front diff and he was gonna give it to the guy that does his to see what they could do with it!!

nismoboy

pimppulsar said:
i've been speaking to simon norris about this problem as i really badly light up my front left wheel when i launch and its getting worse!! :oops:

he wants me to send him my front diff and he was gonna give it to the guy that does his to see what they could do with it!!
cool, let us know how u get on.

that seems to be the main problem ( the front left wheel ) with my car jacked up if u spin the left wheel the right wheel spins aswell. but if u spin the right wheel the left wheel doesnt move :?: :?:

cmng

err
hard to show you those thing
but i think two forummer have buy the front LSD from me can show it

The drive shaft for front LSD is special
VERY LONG .
till it go thru the front LSD till another end almost touching
driver side drive shaft

it from passenger side not driver side insert not driver side

Keira

nad was asking which shaft is the shorter one, drivers side shaft is short :wink: ,

dont know what drugs your on matey but send some to me :shock: , that was one odd post you just put up :lol:

cmng

yes
driver side will be shorter not matter what LSD you use

i talking on those using front LSD
the passenger side is longer than normal one

GINGA

kieron said:
nad was asking which shaft is the shorter one, drivers side shaft is short :wink: ,

dont know what drugs your on matey but send some to me :shock: , that was one odd post you just put up :lol:
You'd have to see what the box/transfer box looks like stripped down to see what he means :wink:
I'll try to explain (lh/rh from driverseat)
the lh drive shaft connects into the lh side of the centre diff which is located in the rear of the gearbox
the rh drive shaft connects into the rh side of the front diff which is located in the rh side of the transfer box
the front diff is driven by another drive shaft which is built into the front diff (this is the long shaft that comes out of the transfer box)this shaft comes out of the transfer box through the middle of the centre diff and transfer box drive and connects into the lh side of the centre diff which is right by the connection for the lh side driveshaft and also where the viscous coulping is located.
the drive for the transfer box comes off the rh side of the centre diff where it connects into the transfer box the transfer box turns the drive 90 degrees to face rearwards wear it goes out the flange at the back of the transfer box to the rear wheels, this is all the transfer box does just turns the drive 90 degrees through a set of gears nothing else :wink:
Now depending on what way you look at it will say which driveshaft is longer.
the lh driveshaft has the shortest run to the actual drive but the longest run to the front diff
the rh drive shaft has the shortest run to the front diff but the longest run to the actual drive confused :?: you and me both lol
My understanding of the system is that the centre diff basically drives/controls the lh front wheel and the rh front wheel is driven/controlled by the front diff which gets it drive from the centre diff :wink:
the centre diff seems to control both the slip to the rear wheels and both fronts as the lh driveshaft is connected into the lh side of the centre diffs viscous coulping and the rh driveshaft (to the front diff) connects to the rh side of the viscous coulping, the right hand side of the viscous coupling is also connected to the drive for the transfer box through the gears of the centre diff :?
which means (I think anyway lol ) that the front lh wheel gets the majority of the power due to being connected to the centre diff meaning that it will get the most torque thrown at it and hence will spin the easiest if that makes sense at all :?:
If it doesn't fo'ok off :lol:

Keira

GINGA said:
If it doesn't fo'ok off :lol:
i'll get my coat :wink: :lol:

what your saying is...

physically comparing the 2 the passenger side shaft ( left from the drivers seat ) looks longer than the drivers side ( right from the seat ) the mechanical processes of getting power to the wheels however makes it the opposite :? .

nismoboy

bit of a crap design really then :( so is there anyway to solve this problem ie un even torque distrobution? or should i just sell it and buy an evo :lol:

GINGA

kieron said:
what your saying is...

physically comparing the 2 the passenger side shaft ( left from the drivers seat ) looks longer than the drivers side ( right from the seat ) the mechanical processes of getting power to the wheels however makes it the opposite :? .
Erm yeh I think so anyway lol

As for how to overcome this problem god knows lol having the centre diff modified would probably help along with a lsd front diff, anybody actually got a lsd front diff and got a pic of it :?:
Might be a idea to ask the gearboxman about the centre diff as I'm pretty sure it could be cut open and modified and rewelded back together again

Nad

Well it clear to me, in the fact that it is the left hand driveshaft that is shortest to drive hence why it spins first, exaclty the same reason in my Nova....

P.S. If u follow the black lines on the picture it sorta backs up my 2 tube theory with the centre controling the transfer case around the outside of the front diff. That picture should help most understand.

Nad

GINGA said:
Might be a idea to ask the gearboxman about the centre diff as I'm pretty sure it could be cut open and modified and rewelded back together again
Hehe I thought about that a while ago, or tapping it and fixing up a pump to allow varing viscous fluid pressures to get and adjustable centre diff 8)

cmng

some one have it
i have the Front LSD pic as well with the drive shaft
left at home .. will post it up

the concept is same with like Fast guy posted