cat temp ensor wont go out

projectgtir

As in title ive just fired my car up and there is a light on the dash looks like a sausage with 3 heat lines coming off it .

This was on the car before the overheating problem so its no suprise its still there .

Problem is i cant seem to get it to go out ,ive dissconnected the plugs under the seat ,apart from this what else can i do .

My car doesnt seem to want to rev over 1700 rpm, it was doing it before the overheating problem but only after this light came on the dash . It came on after i was messing under the car looking at the handbrake linkage . I noticed the stray wire and moved it . After that this light has always been on.

The light is always on but sometimes the car will rev freely and then it wont let me rev over 1700rpm.

danr

im sure the cat temp sensor is just a warning nothing else, just tell you its hot and dont drive on any dry grass ! was the way on me fto. you can just cut wires and join them together to bypass, or add a resistor, one or the other ,,

Dangerous Dave

There is a plug under the driver's seat for the sensor disconnect it and the light should go out..

(my light was on and it turned out that the sensor was fooked)

danr

just trace the wire where possible, must be shorting out somewhere, trapped against a metal frame/bodywork etc. failing that, take the bulb out the dash ;)

projectgtir

I was under the impression that this can cause running problems .

Could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the ecu can retard the timing or something along those lines

My car is fine for a while then all of a sudden it wont rev past 1700 rpm this only started happend when this light came on.

Also the plug I thought was the sensor came from the seatbelt clasp . So I don't think I've unplugged it yet I'm gona pull the sensor out someway

Gtirchris

Hey buddy, the plug for the exhaust temp sensor is under the drivers seat underneath the carpet, take the seat out (4 bolts) and pull the carpet back around the heater vent and you should find it, iirc the wiring is covered in a metal braiding, as danr said it sounds as if the wiring is touching the bodywork and going to earth mate, probably where the handbrake linkage is, this will most likely be the cause of your running issues!. If you have no need for it then just disconnect it or repair it and tape it up, hope this helps you out mate!.

Fusion Ed

This is REALLY odd and I have spent some time looking into this, firstly is this on a UK car? Or a jap car with a UK ECU? I've also seen this happen with a UK ecu loaded with a JDM base image. The strange thing is on the JAP cars at least, there is NO connection from the cat sensor to the ECU that I can see anywhere, but it still causes this problem. I don't yet know how as I'd practically have to rip a pulsar apart to see what's going on.....

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've never had a problem when the hotdog light comes on. - I usually only see it when I've been hammering it in the snow though.

Fusion Ed

I have 3-4 times now. Always been able to resolve it, but never totally understood why it happened (yet), as there are no indications on the data coming out of the ecu that its even happening as it does it!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is that it's actually a short to something else, and it just manifests as the hotdog light coming on; which sucks a signal away from where it's supposed to be. - I've got no idea what it could be obviously, it's just a theory.

geoff pine

The plug under the drivers seat is for the seat belt the plug you want is under the drivers seat carpet its a seat out job its worth trying to see if unplugging it helps .If it still stays on then your going with Georges theory as has been stated in the past 9 times out of 10 George is right lol

Last edited:

danr

el-184 of manual, there is mention of a diode, if your wires have been connected back to front, then this might cause problems, as diode only lets current flow one way (ie. the cat wires were cut then re-joined wrong way round?).

the diode is mentioned with EGR valve, does the sr20det have an EGR?

The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases.
Pros

• The EGR valve is vital to your car's emission controls.
http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/gr/def_egr-valve.htm

projectgtir

It' an import with a standard import ecu . Have a apexi neo and avcr. Mentioned these as they are soldered into the loom behind the ecu.

I had a closer look and what's left of the wire it's bare and stranded . These have been twisted .

What amazes me is it was just tucked away behind the exhaust shield and I've never had a problem until I found it and moved it .

I'm going to go at this the weekend I'll post my findings.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
el-184 of manual, there is mention of a diode, if your wires have been connected back to front, then this might cause problems, as diode only lets current flow one way (ie. the cat wires were cut then re-joined wrong way round?).

the diode is mentioned with EGR valve, does the sr20det have an EGR?
Doesn't that say "N14 with GA engine" and/or "CD Engine"? - The only exhaust gas recirculation should be the PCV which pulls crankcase emissions through the inlet manifold.

There evidently is some kind of issue if Ed has seen it a couple of times now, but I'd start by unplugging it then you can eliminate that as the real problem.

PUL54R

unplugged mine earlier, took it for a drive and all seemed good.
then after 10 minutes or so its exactly as it was before! did a fault code check and nothing. not too sure where to go from here.
any ideas?