CAST IRON gearbox case!!!

Fusion Ed

Its imo down to how well its machined. The casting just looks to me to be a copy of the existing one made with a much stronger material.

red reading

So, does it get your rubber stamp or can you spot some problems? - I appreciate that you might be a little cagey about giving away all your secrets for nothing, but usually you're pretty quick to point-out when something definitely isn't going to work.
oil gutter feed to the mainshaft is critical and looks to have not been machined out, stainless grade used to cast?..........not hard to sort though, and i cannot pass anymore comment till i see one for real

The use of steel instead of cast iron makes sense.would like one, but cannot afford it. nearly finished. my car and funds...nice job, if only it was cheaper!

RO_SUNNY

So...... should we start a list or something with the onew intersted so that I should i I will pay for my membership or not?

I am still considering this case, but first of all, we have to have an idea of prices based on different quantities.
Even in large quantities it is still a lot of money to pay for a case that has not been seen and touched by any member on here, so it is very risky to purchase without proper comments given with propr proofs. The manufacturer should find a way to have someone have a look at it if he wants to sell a batch.
The case should hold monster power and torque, but jus because it held a 9 sec pas it doesn’t mean it won’t break. It is a lot of money and I am not saying it is crap, but I think we all need more details, info and facts to take our own decisions.

warpspeed

I am still considering this case, but first of all, we have to have an idea of prices based on different quantities.
Even in large quantities it is still a lot of money to pay for a case that has not been seen and touched by any member on here, so it is very risky to purchase without proper comments given with propr proofs. The manufacturer should find a way to have someone have a look at it if he wants to sell a batch.
The case should hold monster power and torque, but jus because it held a 9 sec pas it doesn’t mean it won’t break. It is a lot of money and I am not saying it is crap, but I think we all need more details, info and facts to take our own decisions.
exactly!

red reading

Get one to me and i will get it checked, and test it with a ppg dog gear set!..............i can't see that happening tho.

If the seller wants to sell them and is sure about what he is selling, he should send out one for inspection and testing, fees or at a very special condition.
We are not talking about £200...where one could take the risk. It is. Lot of money here

bracpan

This does sound very interesting and could well be the solution to the problem,,,,but anybody that runs there car in competion should look at the rules of there particular sport. I for example could not run this as its not the standard casing that was fitted to the car.
I can strengthen the standard casing but I cant use another....the weight would also be a concern.
Good luck
Phil

RO_SUNNY

Sorry for being late with a reply....but I needed some time to speak to the implicated praties in order to figure out everything.

A problem came up....the price will go up a little bit due to the fact that the gearbox case is machined in Greece and the guy that machined it told me a wrong price for the machining.

The price will be now 2300 euros without shipping and Paypal charges.

I am really sorry about this inconvenience....but these are the true facts.

About group buys and such I didn't had time to figure it out....but it can be worked out without any problems.

I am really busy at work a couple of days and I wont be able to pay for the membership, but as soon as I will do that I will start up a Group Buy Thread.

Thank you for your understanding,

Regards,

B

warpspeed

so the price goes up for a group buy?! unless someone can prove that these really work on the road and track, as they say in lions den..........i'm out!

watoga

Please excuse my total ignorance, but what causes the price to be so high? The mold has already been taken and should be easy to replicate, so all that needs to be done is pour in some stainless steel and machine the resulting cast casing? I can appreciate this requires considerable skill and that the cost of steel must be high, but is the "cost price" of this procedure really over 2000 Euros? I'm just thinking long term as it will be in excess of 5000 Euros once a Quaife gearset has been purchased (no-one is really going to buy this case only to stick a standard gearset in it?), shipped to my house, and installed. For that sort of money I would expect a completely bomb-proof gearbox, if not an entire car LOL ;-)

Like I said, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to guesstimating costs involved with casting a gearbox, so any clarification would be useful!
Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

boost

In the past I have had a lot of castings made for old antique stationary engines that I restore. Some of the parts that I have made was for such things like flywheels,cylinder heads,carburettors. Just to let you all know that getting castings made for these was no where near this £2000 odd euro figure.Also from looking at the initial picture's on this tread in my opinion the actual castings finish doesnt look great especially of its made from some grade of stainless. I'm not putting a negative message towards the gearbox idea or all your hard work sunny as I think you have done really well with sorting all of this out. But I think for most of us average joes wouldn't be able to afford this just for a case. And plus what if there was problems with the machining once someone got a gearbox casing? It's not if your very local to try and rectify any issues that say a gearbox builder might come across upon building the box up.Again this is just my opinion, my 2p's worth.I'm off looting now lol (thats a joke by the way) I'm no dis respectful sum bag!

warpspeed

let's face it gearboxes have always been the weak link so if someone came along with a proper fix at a reasonable price they could make a lot of money, if the case was say £6-800 i would expect almost every owner to buy one within a few years as if the solved the problem they would become a must have mod and a cars value without one fitted would drop. I think 2100 euros is far too much which is why i asked about the group buy price, the last thing i expected was for the price to go up so as said earlier i'm out.