Car cutting out?

frp

Did it twice last nite and twice tonight. Whilst on idle the speedo goes to about 60 and jumps around to about 120 then finally upto 180 and then the engine cuts out? any ideas? very strange :der:
steve

frp

Not sure carl, but would that cause the engine to stop when the car is stationary. Im sure you need the patience of a saint to own a pulsar :doh: if its not one thing its another :sad:

steve

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
frp said:
Not sure carl, but would that cause the engine to stop when the car is stationary. Im sure you need the patience of a saint to own a pulsar :doh: if its not one thing its another :sad:

steve
If it's idling and it cuts the ignition for a few seconds (like mine did when u/s) it would be long enough to make it stall, but check your earths as well like Ashills suggests.

frp

It went stupid the other night. I started it up and left it to warm up. It cut out but this time the speedo needle stayed at 180 and hasnt come back! has nt cut out again though. This may be the problem i think.
steve

Fusion Ed

Speedo electronics are independent to the ecu etc. shouldnt be related although some high speed cuts have been shown to be related to the speedo

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How does the speed cut at 180kmh work? Something must tell the ecu to cut the engine until you slow down? I'm just assuming that it could be the same system working here, ie engine thinks you're going 180kmh and cutting the ignition, even though you're idling?

antgtir

Change the speedo and see if it occurs again.

You can always flog on the speedo after you've confirmed or discounted it from the list of potentials.

Ant.