cant engage any gears, HELP-- UPDATED

kingy

i have fitted a new clutch about 2-3 weeks ago.I was out last night and after a bit of hard driving i couldn't select any gears.the clutch is a AP paddle clutch.and was ok till last night, any sudgestions what it could be. :evil:

kingy

the pedal feels stiff and before last night you could sort of feel the fingers in the clutch flex but now it feels as if it isn't pressing fully.

Stevo

check ur clutch fluid level,
What colour is it?

Does the gears crunch.
if u put it in 1t gear with clutch down and start car does it edge forwards?

kyepan

hmm..

i would start with the simple stuff, check for signs of fluid leakage from the master cylinder (i think thats in the footwell) and the slave, near the clutch fork on the gearbox casing. also like the steveO says, check the clutch fluid levels, and colour of the fluid. if its black your seals in the master or slave cylinder are going.

If the pedal was creaking, it may be that the pedal box has sheered, it is weak by design, and when mine broke the pedal still worked, but i could not engage gears. the pedal box is what the pedal mounts on to..

Do a search for the pedal box breaking. find the post with photos and check that against yours.. you should be able to spot any broken metal and or lateral movement in the pedal box.

Then check all the hydraulics that feed the clutch.
Then start to worry about collpased thrust bearings and dead clutches.

can you select any gears, 1-5 or just not 1,3 or 2,4... ?

E

Edd

This sounds exactly what happened with my E*E*Y clutch

you might have broken one of the paddles.

can you get in gear with the engine running at all?

now see if you can put the car in gear with engine off.

if you can get in gears with engine off then it's most likely a clutch fault

it could still be hydraulic problem though not releasing properly

kingy

right then heres as much info as i can think of.
if the engine is running and i press the clutch to the floor it creaks a little but presses down, it is hard to press but goes to the floor but i can not put it in gear.
The gears opperate normally with engine off.
The clutch fluid is on the min mark.
The clutch fluid has a bit of black streaks in it.
There is a slight dampness around the join of the flexi hose but i think that has seaped out because of the pressure required to press the pedal.
When i press the clutch to the floor and get someone to try and pry the clutch arm any further it wont move.Its like it is fully pressed.
If i put the car in gear and try and start the car with the clutch pressed it lurches forward.
I can put the car in first gear and start the car in gear to drive it and then drive without using the clutch and there is no noises like if anything had broke.
I think it is a problem with the pressure plate.
god i hate this car.

MarkTurbo

kingy said:
There is a slight dampness around the join of the flexi hose but i think that has seaped out because of the pressure required to press the pedal.
It does sound like a problem with the pedal/hydraulics. If the clutch hose is leaking when you press the pedal then this might be the problem.

Does the slave cylinder push the clutch release arm fully across :?:

Is there any clutch fluid around the carpet near the pedal :?:

kingy

yes the slave cylinder fully pushes the clutch arm accross.
no there isn't any fluid around the clutch pedal area.
When i press the clutch to the floor and get someone to try and pry the clutch arm any further it wont move.Its like it is fully pressed.

MarkTurbo

Didnt read that bit properly :oops:

Must be a problem with the clutch itself then :( On my old AP organic clutch a bit of the cover plate broke off :shock: and jammed in the fingers so i couldnt get any gears :x AP have changed the cover plates now though so i woudnt have thought it would be that.

Stevo

OMG mate we have the exactly same prob,
im getting a new clutch, ive put a new slave on and new fulid which didnt help, clutch is being done next week, if it works ill let u no!!

Its a pain eh mate :cry:

kingy

cheers all for the response.
PAIN aint the word if this car had a throat i would strangle it.
OMG mate we have the exactly same prob,
hope WE get it sorted mate.
i will be pulling engine out over the weekend to see whats wrong.

kyepan

if the arms moving, then i think you need to start thinking about the clutch. :(

sorry to hear your getting clutch probs

if you need a new one and are running less than 280lbs of torque, go for the helix organic

LeeSmith

sorry to jump in but :
kyepan said:
hmm..
check the clutch fluid levels, and colour of the fluid. if its black your seals in the master or slave cylinder are going.
what if it is brown????

Stevo

brown means that its due to be changed, if its black it means a seal has gone.

I changed mine and its a clear as day light..BUT for how long........ :p

kingy

i have spoke to the company that i purchased my clutch from and from what the mechanic has said he thinks there must be a problem with my pressure plate.
I have got to remove the clutch and send it back to AP.I will order another clutch which i have got to pay for untill AP send a report back to the company and then if its faulty they will repay me for the faulty clutch. :cry:
This clutch is less than 30 days old for christ sake you would think they would be very appolagetic and would send me a instant replacement but no.

T

Toady

you may think this sounds silly but maybe the clutch has slipped on the flywheel or pressure point to the point that it has generated so much heat it kind of friction welds the friction paddles/plate to the fly/p-plate. this happened to me on one of my highly tuned up cars :shock: ....the clutch pedal would appear to be operating normally as it is, but as the clutch is still attached to the pressure plate/flywheel, its doesnt dissengage drive. i had to get my mates to push me to a speed where i could put it in 2nd gear, jump start it if you know what i mean, and drive it without using the clutch for a bit. with the engine warmed up i kept stamping on the clutch pedal whilst driving to help to force the plate apart...after about 10 miles it came loose and sorted itself out! been fine ever since! :D

T

Toady

oh and also...did you bed the clutch in or just ragg it straight away? like brake pads your supposed to bed the clutch plate in, so if ap ask you that question....say you have! :wink:

MarkTurbo

kingy said:
i have spoke to the company that i purchased my clutch from and from what the mechanic has said he thinks there must be a problem with my pressure plate.
I have got to remove the clutch and send it back to AP.I will order another clutch which i have got to pay for untill AP send a report back to the company and then if its faulty they will repay me for the faulty clutch. :cry:
This clutch is less than 30 days old for christ sake you would think they would be very appolagetic and would send me a instant replacement but no.
Have you taken the clutch out yet?

When my pressure plate broke i dealt directly with AP. I sent it back, they looked at it and then sent me a whole new clutch kit 8) It was all sorted out within a couple weeks :D