Canadian R owners - Do you plan to drive your car this winter?

D

Diesel Fumes

Im debating on whether I should or not. Its the only working car I have right now and its lowered and stiff right now, but I was lookint to get some OEM spec suspension. Would you drive yours? Im scared for a number of reasons. Too much power for icey conditions, too nice of a car to risk getting rust damage(though no road salt here), unsure of what oil to use. Im also not sure how everything will stand up to winter use. Premature wear on bushings, cv joint boots, etc.

Someone tell me if this is a bad idea or not. I have an Audi Quattro which I could use this winter, but it needs a bit of work to be street safe.

CanadianR

Yes I will be driving mine. That is if I don't lose the license. However, it will be stored in a garage and washed regularily. I also have an unlimited bus pass that will probably be used well this winter as well.

And please, don't ever say too much power again.:lol:

D

Diesel Fumes

CanadianR said:
Yes I will be driving mine. That is if I don't lose the license. However, it will be stored in a garage and washed regularily. I also have an unlimited bus pass that will probably be used well this winter as well.

And please, don't ever say too much power again.:lol:
haha! But it does have too much power. My previous car was a naturally aspirated diesel Golf so I have a bit of getting used to. I don't have a garage to store mine in, hopefully the cold weather isn't too hard on it. Also I don't believe it has a block heater installed. :doh:

vizi0n

i am not going to use mine during winter. here in qc we have tons of salt and calcium on the streets because of the icy conditions (rust rust rust). on top of that i have a tein driving master type ha suspension and that would just be horrible on bumpy/snowy roads and the front mount intercooler would be too risky.

basically, my car would be a snow plow. i have my eagle talon for winter :)

Studlife

i would not recomend using your R for the winter ...number one reason Crappy ABS the winter i drove mine the ABS locked the brakes off not good

O

Odin

CanadianR said:
No ABS here. But no block heater either. ouch fmic I just installed will be a bugger though. Skid plate time.

Just move to vancouver ;-) , It doesn't get that cold there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Dooie Pop Pop

CanadianR said:
No ABS here. But no block heater either. ouch fmic I just installed will be a bugger though. Skid plate time.

YEEE HAAAAAAAA!!!!:twisted:

:D

thats my pc home page btw;)

Last edited:

CanadianR

Odin said:
Just move to vancouver ;-) , It doesn't get that cold there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
Friend told me I can install one? I have a bus pass and also risk losing my license if I get found guilty of not stopping for a police officer . . .

I'm going down to Australia in January though, car will be parked for the coldest months though.

Dooie, that is an awesome picture!:thumbsup:

Dooie Pop Pop

i thought it was quite fitting;)

iirc the pic came from somewhere in eastern Europe a while back, he has the black car with yellow decals and she' s got a yellow one with the black bits:cool:

nickr

why would u not stop for a police officer neways?

im driving mine through winter, altho i live in vancouver. hills are treacherous here tho when it ices over

CanadianR

nickr said:
why would u not stop for a police officer neways?

im driving mine through winter, altho i live in vancouver. hills are treacherous here tho when it ices over
It's a long story. Going fast, by the time he set his coffee and doughnut down and decided to flash me I was at my house already and getting ready for bed.:shock:

F

Fubawu

no the car will be locked away this winter. Might make a trailer trip down south to VIR though
John

B

benp

yeah my R is gonna be tarped up good this winter, winters here eat vehicles. Although i'll have to take it out of hibernating atleast a couples times to have some fun in the snow with Jesse (CanadianR).

D

Diesel Fumes

benp said:
yeah my R is gonna be tarped up good this winter, winters here eat vehicles. Although i'll have to take it out of hibernating atleast a couples times to have some fun in the snow with Jesse (CanadianR).
How many GTIR's are in Saskatoon? Am I right in thinking at least 3? :shock:

B

benp

Diesel Fumes said:
How many GTIR's are in Saskatoon? Am I right in thinking at least 3? :shock:
Um 3 maybe 4, mine, Jesse's, theres one for sale in the paper and another that a local speed shop owner imported and ran it at 2.0 bar stock and blew it up, its been sitting ever since.

CanadianR

There's 4 in Saskatoon, correct. Technically Ben's isnt in saskatoon, it's on an acerage a few minutes east of the city. Perfect for some winter rallying.

Modform

Hey Canadians! Drove mine last winter...pretty rough on the suspension but fun as hell. Cost me an fmic though...slipped off a raised section of ice and smashed the fmic like a pop can. Skid plate in order this year and an adjustable suspension!

CanadianR

Modform said:
Hey Canadians! Drove mine last winter...pretty rough on the suspension but fun as hell. Cost me an fmic though...slipped off a raised section of ice and smashed the fmic like a pop can. Skid plate in order this year and an adjustable suspension!
I'm going to refit my skid plate for the winter. Letting it off for show right now for the FMIC.:thumbsup: