Can I do away with this?

JU5TY

The pipe that runs from the back corner of the cam covers… behind the fuel rail (bolts onto the back of the fuel rail), then attaches to the front of the inlet on the 4 throttle bodies via metal/rubber pipes…

What’s it for, I’m sure I’ve seen some setup’s without it?

A

AJ4

Its for emissions - specially designed by Nissan to dilute your fuel charge with oil fumes thus causing loss of power and detonation :D

You can take it all off, loop the cylinders together with short pipes ( between 1&2 and then between 3&4 ). Block off the one from the cam cover or use a seperate catch can ( or coke can ;) )

JU5TY

Thanks mate.

I will do exactly that... Will block the hole off on the Cam Covers, already got a Spec R oil separator, so I assume that’s adequate… rather than attaching a separate catch can.

G

GTI-R Kid

Ross said:
Its for emissions - specially designed by Nissan to dilute your fuel charge with oil fumes thus causing loss of power and detonation :D
So removing this would be a good idea then? Would it affect emmisions or cause any bad results to anything?

A

AJ4

No mate, no bad effects only good. Mine had been like that for over two years with no oil fume control whatsoever, I get a nice clean burn, no fouling in the plenum or intercooler. Passes MOT's no problem, but that might depend on your MOT tester... :D

G

GTI-R Kid

I don't suppose anyone has a pic of the exact items we're talking about?

nismoboy

i have a forge oil seperator which vents one end of the rocker, can i just put a bolt in place of the oneway valve? and then link the pipes on the throttle bodies together? or does there have to be a breather pipe coming from there? if there does i suppose i could plumb into the forge sperator somehow.

A

AJ4

I'll try and describe mine as best I can...

The outlet on the rear left of the rocker cover ( looking into engine bay ) has been blocked off completely. I have a short pipe connecting cylinders 1 and 2 on the inlet manifold, and another for 3 and 4. On the right hand side vent near the dizzy I have the original t-piece - one side goes to the oil seperator as normal, but the other side vents to atmosphere ( its actually stuck in an old plastic bottle with holes in the top to trap any moisture ). This is the pipe that originally went back to the intake and covered the intercooler in oil...

I know quite a few other people that have done this with no ill effects. I know now that I am not burning any oil fumes whatsoever ( which lower the octane rating of the fuel ) and my inlet tract is spotlessly clean ( it had a 1mm thick coating of oily sludge before, and the efficiency of the top mount must have been way,way down ).

I fitted a new front mount and didn't want it to get all manked up, hence the reason why I removed all that fume control nonsense ;)

Hope that helps.

O

Odin

I'v done this also, It took me all of about 10 minute's :wink:

rob

J

jiw

mine too, they look split and could be causing my 300 rpm too high idle, in with some blue vaccum pipe :lol:

coxie

when you block the left hand breather/vent off does it not tap/click as in the past i have squeezed the pipe and the relief valve inside starts to rattle :? .or was it bypassing small amounts of air :?: but if i block it off corectly it will be fine.

and are we on about these pipes in the pic towards the bottom of the page :?:

http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=20216&start=0

A

AJ4

If you block it off completely it will be fine. Yes, the pipes we are talking about are the blue ones in that pic, at the back of the head ( this is what it looks like finished )

JU5TY

What did you use to block off the hole in the cam covers, I went to my local nut and bolt shop, but they didn’t have any bolts in that thread pitch.

coxie

my car is being stripped down at the moment and i have just bought the correct parts for doing this conversion...it cost me £3.11 inc vat for the following:-

2 X 10 inch lengths of 6mm ID petrol/vacumn hose
1 X 3/8 BSP tapered blocking plug

was really easy to do aswell and looks better too.also should get a cleaner burn as mentioned earlier in the thread. 8)

Nad

Has anyone got a description of where all the pipes go to and from or any decent pictures as someone from Ford who deals with Vapour anaylsis has offered to take a look to ensure that it can be modified safely if I can get them the information.

Thanks

Nad