Cams

S

si.c R

Just wondering what sort of gains you could expect from the R if you uprated the cams without many other major mods :?: I currently only have a Mongoose, blitz induction, Dump valve and a Helix organic clutch. I'm just interested as to what sort of increase in power and torque you would expect from a new set of cams say HKS 264's. On my previous car i fitted a piper high lift cam and gained alot of torque and a great noise too. Just wondered what the benefits would be from fitting good cams on my R. Also does anyone know what sort of cost i might be looking at and is it a reliable mod without a rebuild :?: :?:

C

caz

OK. My buds will correct me if I've overlooked any items but my pal Steve had his car on the rollers with me at Well Lane last year. He had a pretty basic spec, ie same as yours, maybe a few more items and a 1 bar boost he was putting out 267bhp. Although this car is a very quick road car as it has more torque than bhp.
Right at the Glenrothes RR day a few weeks ago Steve put his car on again. All he's done is cams and Front mount and he got 307bhp. Again the operator commented on the car's probable on the road character (so don't take this as 1 bar R gospel)

But thats the best example I can give U. Bearing in mind a front mount makes a massive difference.

Basically the answer is, yes cams do make a big differance. I was talking to the people at the RR day about Steve's car and I understand 25-30 bhp gains are possible.

Hope that is of long winded help :?

C

caz

Hi bud :D

Not sure, possibly HKS items. I think they came from our other pals Steve's ( Race car R) car. I'll wait for SI.. to come and prove me wrong :oops:

I know he had them fitted by Race Steve

S

si.c R

What is the cost and where is the best place to get cams fitted :?: I think for torque purposes they are a well worth mod but i do worry that if set up wrongley they can cause alot of probs :!:

zia

the torque increase with 264 would be in the upper mid to high rev range due to the duration also depended on the lift used, the only thing i don,t like with that duration is that for city/town you lose torque in the lower rpm.

zia

C

caz

do worry that if set up wrongley they can cause alot of probs
To be honust mate, I think with a basic spec, U'll not need much setting up. Something like the HKS 264's should work pretty well out of the box.

Si..

you will see a good gain from the HKS 264's, i'm not that clued up on them but everyone i know who uses them has seen a noticeable gain but a loss in low down torque,

fook me, not even a hint of sly diggery
just coz your right doesnt change the fact your a to55er :wink: :lol:

skiddusmarkus

you will see a good gain from the HKS 264's, i'm not that clued up on them but everyone i know who uses them has seen a noticeable gain but a loss in low down torque,
Hence why some of us are going for shorter duration Tomei cams with more lift :wink: .Lag-what's that :D ?
[/quote]

P

pschurr

Skidds, making with the sense again.

Umm, no cams will work properly out of the box. Because the GTIR has solid lifters, you need to ensure that the correct shims are used on the top of the valve assemblies to keep the gap between the rocker arm and the valve-stem collet at a minimum. Otherwise you get a lot of noise, and the rocker arm will be at risk of coming out sideways which will DESTROY something up there at hi-rpm.

Also, if the existing shims are too tall for the new cams, you could wind up knocking the valve into the top of the piston depending on what cam timing you've got.

Some people think a bb-turbo is a better up-front upgrade before going to cams... in terms of price/effort/risk/reward. I agree with them.

peter