Cams-which ones?

Davey

This hasnt been covered for a while, so whats everyones opinion on different cams?
Looking for more drivablity, and more power(if possible)
Some people suggested running different cams for the inlet and outlet?

skiddusmarkus

A few of us are using Tomei ones.They have the choice of 260,270&280 degree duration with higher lifts than standard.It depends what characteristics you want from your engine.

G

GAZ P

Piper & Kent now offer kits for the R.The Piper kit offers 260 & 270 deg not sure about the specifications of the Kent ones.

Davey

What about Jun, or are they a little to aggressive for an everday car?
Like i said, more power everywhere would be nice, not sure which i would choose between more low down power, or more top end though :?
Dont want my car ending up like a bloody V-Tec :shock: :D

nismoboy

Most people go for 264`s but anywhere from 260 to 270 is best for midrange power. The other thing to consider is cam lift, hks cams are quite mild around 11 mm so u can use stock springs etc, tomie cams are usuall high lift 12.5mm so u`ll needs rock stopper kit,uprated valve springs and retainers, jun cams are about 11.5 mm lift. hope this helps :wink:

Keira

talking to ginga a while ago he swapped back to standard from his hks cams and found the car responded better and was nicer to drive :?

MarkTurbo

I've thought about them before but never seen much info on the exact power gains from cams :?

But there seems to be quite a few people that have made decent power on the standard cams. By the time you've bought the cams and had them reshimmed you're probably looking at £500 which seems like a lot to spend when you can make decent power (and have better driveability) on the standard cams :wink:

turblio

Must be honest here have had HKS Cams fitted and the difference is lumpy idle and mild improvement across the range so a bit of an expensive mod for the money but never mind its only money :lol:
Frank

nismoboy

ive got the hks 264`s and as soon as i had them fitted i noticed the difference it pull much better, but if i was to do it again i`d go for the tomie ones with 12.5mm lift :)

Keira

turblio said:
never mind its only money :lol:

exactly, which is why i will be ignoring gingas advice and fitting them anyway :lol:

tbh, if i hadn't got the cams and pulleys cheap i doubt i'd have bothered

turblio

kieron said:
turblio said:
never mind its only money :lol:

exactly, which is why i will be ignoring gingas advice and fitting them anyway :lol:

tbh, if i hadn't got the cams and pulleys cheap i doubt i'd have bothered
Same here mine were courtesy of our man Edd :wink: