cadwell 6.10.09

P

pulsarboby

did a trackday today at cadwell but as per usual all did not go to plan:lol:

first of all one of my road tyres were down to thread on inner edge so then i reverted to another set of boots.
next prob was wire came disconnected under dash which controls fuel pump so car cut out on track but i managed to find the fault and fix it as car packed up on straight and managed to drift off track into the ambulance area, so that was that prob solved:-D

next one was lots of misfires especially round left hand bends which i initially put down to fuel surge but after removing pump and checking everything all was fine!
it wasnt till around 3o/c that i discovered the problem and it meant the end of the day for me:sad:
here it is:

the welded bracket for actuator that was made up by hiteq had snapped so this is why ive had loads of probs with running anything other than standard boost and the reason why it kept fluctuating wildly:roll:
car had absolutely no go in it all day but got really bad towards the end so had to call it a day:cry:

ive got 12 minutes of on track footage but cant download on youtube as its too long.
theres still a lot of cars being overtaken even though it was running shite, was gonna put in some good times today aswell but that just didnt happen, was way down on my best, but with no umpth what can you do lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You haven't been having a good run lately have you?

You can hear in that video that the turbo isn't really spooling.... actually I take that back; I think you were just taking it easy until you were past the traffic.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

no your right there george its just one thing after another:roll:

i sort one prob then something completely unexpected bites me on the ass:lol:

still in a way im glad this has happened now and not at the oc trackday!
as you say 'the turbo wasnt really spooling at all and what with it being a 3071 it made car extremely laggy, thats also why dumpvalve was not going tsssssh:lol:.
you can here it missing and popping on the left hander at bottom of hill and going over the mountain i had to dip the clutch to bring the revs up
not a good day really!
i could have gone round quicker in a standard pulsar lol

P

pulsarboby

brakes were very good tim, but then they would be compared to the wibbly wobbly things i had before lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Did they last? I remember Andy saying that the yellows were shot after one day on the track in his car.
They say the compound has been changed in Red Stuffs, so I was wondering if the yellows have got better too.

P

pulsarboby

at least its an easy fix bob
thats true danny
its dissapointing though when things like this happen, i just want to get in the car and concentrate on the driving but theres always niggly little probs that spoil that, which only seem to showup on track.
but as you say its an easy fix and next time il have some power to look forward to8)..............hopefully:lol:

Did they last? I remember Andy saying that the yellows were shot after one day on the track in his car.
They say the compound has been changed in Red Stuffs, so I was wondering if the yellows have got better too.

tbh george ive not checked them, brakes were least of my worries today

P

pulsarboby

at least we know why we couldnt set boost controller up joe, and readings were all over the place.

bl00dy marvellous though, that bracket must have been on there for years with no problems at all but soon as i get it crack bang it goes, just my luck:lol:

It's bad that its broke mate but it's good that you found the problem so quickly! You never know, if were both lucky we may have no problems at OP because we've had them all prior to the main event! :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
This is the beauty with Cadwell Park; it’s the ultimate track to test GTiR’s (or any cars for that matter) with suspension, brakes, talent, fuelling and other areas.

No other track finds fault in cars like Cadwell Park, go to Oulton Park an you can have a faultless day, try Cadwell the next day and it will chew you up and spit you out with a list of issues to need to address with your car.

P

pulsarboby

It's bad that its broke mate but it's good that you found the problem so quickly! You never know, if were both lucky we may have no problems at OP because we've had them all prior to the main event! :)
lol luck is one thing i dont posess:lol: but you never know!
ive just come to live with the fact that there will always be something breaking on these cars sometimes big sometimes small, but R owners arent the only ones it happens to. its everyone who uses their car on circuit in anger:lol: thats why you always see bonnets in the air and toolboxes, jacks etc etc if you walk round pits.

andy....yes your correct about cadwell its a very tight difficult circuit 'the mini nurburgring' as its known!
it certainly is a car killer if you get it wrong as many have found to their cost.
i just love this track though its definately one of my favourites for its location, spectating point of view, amenities etc and very rewarding if you can get it right, puts a big smile on my face if ive done well there:-D not yesterday though lol

GtIr_1

hi im interested in doing my first trackday in my R at cadwell park how much will it cost me and wondered if my brakes and and cooling system will be appropriate have hks front mount and grooved disks upfront and green pads but no sure how they will take a track day they are good as new tho.

P

pulsarboby

hi im interested in doing my first trackday in my R at cadwell park how much will it cost me and wondered if my brakes and and cooling system will be appropriate have hks front mount and grooved disks upfront and green pads but no sure how they will take a track day they are good as new tho.

dont even bother matey! youll be wasting your time with greenstuff pads.
i wrecked a set of those in one session on track, think fubar andy was there when this happened around a year ago in a bog standard car.

me and andys doing one at cadwell in december for £99 but prices vary dependant upon day and how early you book

look up some threads on brakes theres loads of info on them but you will need a minimum of redstuff pads and change fluid to 5.1 but dependant on how you drive youll cook the small discs in no time tbh
ideally you need four pots and bigger discs to disperse the heat!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
grooved disks upfront and green pads but no sure how they will take a track day they are good as new tho.

Well since everyone’s driving is different then it’s hard to say, but at guess I would say that with just grooved discs and green stuff pads you'll be cooking them in no time at all...