Bumpsteer kit

zia

Not posted here in a long time.........very long time lol.
But i thought i'd come say and Hello peeps :).looking to get the old girl back on the road and drive her for a bit.my current bumpsteer kit is shagged and needs new bearing,so i was wondering where can i locate either a new kit or some bearing for it?would like to get some bumpsteer boots to go with the kit to protect it from weather/rust etc

thanks zia

Jon Olds

I replaced both of mine due to early wear. I was amazed at the price difference from cheap to top of range. Felt I didn't know enough about them, so took the easy option os 'top of range'. Rightly or wrongly. We could do with some comments from someone who knows something about these bearings....
Jon

zia

Well it seem i purchased a set of these while back.
2pcs GTi-R Bump Kit Bearings (Motorsport Grade) - GASXW14 x 1.5MS

Read More at : http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/general-r-discussion/88474-bumpsteer-kit.html?highlight=bumpsteer+kit

Just got the old one off which i think i bought from powerstation originally. there is a difference in the internal bearing diameter old one are 12.4mm and the above come with 13.4mm and when you slide them over on the old kit there is a gap between bearing and the stud.
Anyone have set of studs/ends which will accomdate the wider bearing kit? was thinking maybe use a sleeve of some sort but don't wanna bodge it.

thanks zia

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
pm kirko who used to make these. I got mine from him and bought the bearings separately.... but that was a long time ago!

Nick K

I was about to say " what the hell is it " then did some reading up :shock: So basically they replace the track rod ends. Are they more suited to vehicles with coil overs fitted? or is it just a mod to reduce the effects of bump steer in the R??

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
It's called a bumpsteer kit but it has minimal impact on your bump steer! Besides, it depends how much bump steer you start with. Bump steer is not a huge issue with our cars unless you over lower them and if you did then this wouldn't help as the change is too small.

It is a rose jointed track rod end which doesn't sound very exciting but it is brilliant for improving steering feel and accuracy.

The ball joint at the end of your steering has a little slack that gets's taken up every time you move the steering wheel. Rose jointed track rod ends don't have this. This description isn't going to make people reach for their wallets so marketing reach for bumpsteer mumbo jumbo to sell a few more :)

Cynicism aside, they are good, the problem used to be that they wore out too quickly, almost every year. So many moons ago Steve found the bearing company in the link above who supply a much higher grade of bearing than the type you normally get from aftermarket tuners. They also sell the boots that you can pack with grease to keep them safe from dust and corrosion. End result is mine have done around 25,000 miles of daily driving over 5 years with no issues.

You don't need coilovers to make this work but you don't want worn bushes, dampers and soft springs as the chassis will be unresponsive anyway.

Nick K

It's called a bumpsteer kit but it has minimal impact on your bump steer! Besides, it depends how much bump steer you start with. Bump steer is not a huge issue with our cars unless you over lower them and if you did then this wouldn't help as the change is too small.

It is a rose jointed track rod end which doesn't sound very exciting but it is brilliant for improving steering feel and accuracy.

The ball joint at the end of your steering has a little slack that gets's taken up every time you move the steering wheel. Rose jointed track rod ends don't have this. This description isn't going to make people reach for their wallets so marketing reach for bumpsteer mumbo jumbo to sell a few more :)

Cynicism aside, they are good, the problem used to be that they wore out too quickly, almost every year. So many moons ago Steve found the bearing company in the link above who supply a much higher grade of bearing than the type you normally get from aftermarket tuners. They also sell the boots that you can pack with grease to keep them safe from dust and corrosion. End result is mine have done around 25,000 miles of daily driving over 5 years with no issues.

You don't need coilovers to make this work but you don't want worn bushes, dampers and soft springs as the chassis will be unresponsive anyway.
That's a great bit of info there, Thank you for that. Might treat the car to a set of them before I get all the geometry setup ;-)