buggered piston ring. Suggestions welcome/required

• Thread starter mynheers_a_pint
  • Start date
M

mynheers_a_pint

Hi all. well all was going swimmingly and i have been enjoying Pulsar ownership for over a year now but as the title may suggest, today my car puffed it's first cloud of blue. Having had a car do this to me before i knew it could be one of 3 things- valve stems, turbo or rings. Well heres the compression test results and i guess they speak for themselfs;

cylinder 1-

cylinder 2-

cylinder 3-

cylinder 4-

So as you can see i have low comp on cylinder 1. Bugger. Now my car is booked in with Boby next month for a clutch change so the engine will be coming out BUT i can't really afford the kind of work we're talking here on this short notice. I am contemplating a couple of things, non of which involve breaking-
1.repair this engine
2.fit a new engine (cost compared to repair?)
3. fit a forged engine (more money)

Does anyone have any ideas, options that i may have missed? What would everyone else do? I recognise that forging is potentially the more expensive option now, but in the lnog run it was always on the cards so spending the money sooner rather than later, whilst not practical, does make sense if the engine is coming out next month anyway. That is, if i can find a forged engine before then that is suitable.

So i guess i am really after opinions and suggestions as i'm a bit fed up. Love the car. Hate the situation.

:sad:

Rapidbuild

i have just fitted a brand new engine with hks pistons and have spare brand new perfect original nissan pistons much cheaper than forged if u need them?
£250 ovno

also all the bits from my original engine including 2x used pistons in good shape.......

M

mynheers_a_pint

at this moment in time, i don't think i need new pistons but thanks for the offer.

Id rather a fully built engine as i've been down the specially built road before and it is expensive...

gtir_pimp

i would go for forged pistons as you can get them for around £400. i think bob said to me a forged engine rebuild by him will cost around £1800, depending on spec like what head gasket you have etc. i had a second hand standard engine fitted from him over a year and a half agoand it cost £1500. £800 for the engine and the rest on labour,sundries and collecting the car. so only £300 more for forged which will be very strong and if looked after and mapping is spot on, will last forever! i know you say moneys an issue right now, so store it for a bit and work some overtime then go for it. i think bob said he could arrange finance on the red pulsar he is selling so maybe he will for the engine rebuild! try him

smoked

i just paid 270 for some forged pistons, go on erics performance on ebay make them a really low offer on the pistons you want

M

mynheers_a_pint

i'm already in contact with Boby. My biggest quibble is that if the world finances weren't so dodgy, i could expect a very large christmas bonus and would not be worried. I 'can' save the money but this is my everyday driver and saving the money would take 2 or 3 months. I have 1 or 2 options in that i have a fair few parts i can sell and i could make the money up quickly (turini front bumper and so on) but that wasn't on the cards and i don't really want to. I've seen one or 2 pre built forged engines go for 1200 quid and with enough time and help i could fit it myself but that is such a problem with time and space, i figured it was easier to get someone to do it for me.

And as much as that red car is awesome, i couldn't part with mine. It is MY car not one someone else has made, no matter how aweosme the other may be on paper.

I'll find a way...

gtir_pimp

i didnt mean buy the red car, was just saying that hes willing to do finance on the car so maybe he would do the same on a forged engine rebuild for you?! not sure but you could ask to pay him every month

M

mynheers_a_pint

oh i got you. hehe.

I guess that is a conversation he and i should have privately but don't think it wasn't something i was considering asking. don't get me wrong though; I know Bob is incredibly nice but i didn't want to be rude. He went out of his way once when somone tried to steal my car, i would never expect him or anyone for that matter, to go above and beyond once, let alone twice.

as i said, i'll find a way. I wonder if there is a good market for kidneys...

davey red.r

smoked said:
i just paid 270 for some forged pistons, go on erics performance on ebay make them a really low offer on the pistons you want
:shock: £270 there not them chocolate ones are they?
what make are they? as you dont want to be giving the lad that info. if they are chocolate.
dont skimp on pistons mate,get hks.

davey

Last edited:
M

mynheers_a_pint

ok so with the above opinions; is it definately rings/piston or could it be something else.

Before i spend lots....

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
mynheers_a_pint said:
ok so with the above opinions; is it definately rings/piston or could it be something else.

Before i spend lots....
Nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer without at least doing some dismantling

M

mynheers_a_pint

yeah sorry i should of known that. It was the beer that drove me to such a stupid question...!

M

mynheers_a_pint

well it's booked in for a leak down test on monday so i guess i'll find out then.

I just drove it to the post office and it didn't puff at all. What ever the damage it is, it can't be that bad. Still needs sorting though...

azboy

my friends got a full hiteq forged engine for sale if interested, i think he wants about 1200 for it

M

mynheers_a_pint

engine was hot as i'd jsut driven home, i'd taken the relevant spark plug out but not all and the throttle was wide open. I'd of thought that all spark plugs wouldn't need to be removed as the cylinders are separate from each other?

Azboy, are you able to suply specifications?

red reading

take all the plugs out and re test it,with the other three plugs in you can get false reading's,

and normally if your rings are fooked the car will smoke and use oil