Breather system help.

Granite-GTiR

Hi all,

Just need some advice on the breather system. I need to check all the breathers, but i'm after some help with locating them all.

Please help, cheers.

youngsyp

Why do you need to check them bud ?

For starters, do you still have the OE set up, plumbed it as it left the factory ?

Granite-GTiR

I posted a thread some weeks back about my car holding back when warm and getting light blue smoke when i back off, but not all the time. Some one suggested to check the breather system - think it was you actually mate. I've been away so only just dealing with the problem.

I'm 99% sure its all the OE set up.

youngsyp

Ok bud.

To start with, check the hose that attaches to the MAF to turbo pipe. Undo the retaining clip, and pull it off to see if there is oil residue on the inside. If there is, remove the MAF to turbo pipe and clean out with petrol or paraffin.
Also remove the breather pipe (I think it comes from the rocker cover) and clean that out with petrol or paraffin clean the pipe that comes out of teh rocker cover too. You'll probably only be able to do this, with some paper rag etc...

Next, remove the black metal box on the front of the engine (this has 1 pipe going towards the sump and one, to the back of the rocker cover). Wash this out with petrol/paraffin too, preferably from the top pipe, through to the bottom pipe. This should have the most gunk/oil come out of it as, it's the oil separator.

At the back of the rocker cover, on the drivers side, you'll see the PCV (looks like abolt with a hose attached). This will plumb into pipes around the throttle bodies.
You can check this PCV for and make sure it's still working. It should be a one way valve so, will only let gas out of the rocker cover, and not back in.
Again, take off all the associated pipes and clean with petrol or paraffin.

Stick it all back on and see how she runs.

Ideally what you'd do is rip all that stuff out, invest in an aftermarket catch tank, and vent it to atmosphere, instead of back into the intake system. Remove the PCV and block off with a 3/8 BSP cap and loop the pipes by the throttle bodies together. There is a thread around with info on how to do this.

Granite-GTiR

Mate, that is absolutely perfect! Thanks alot for all the info, much appreciated. I'll get round to checking it all at the weekend.

Also, the aftermarket catch tank, would that replace the OE oil separator?

youngsyp

Granite-GTiR said:
Also, the aftermarket catch tank, would that replace the OE oil separator?
It would bud.

I have a Cusco one which, comes as a very good kit and does the job but, there are more user friendly ones out there.

Ideally, you'd have one with 1 inlet (from the rocker cover), an outlet on the top, to attach a breather filter. A method of seeing how full it is and a drain plug on the bottom so, you don't have to take the thing out whenever it needs emptying. I've seen one on an MG parts suppliers site, of all places. So, if you're after one, that should help you narrow the search on google a little.

O

Odin

youngsyp said:
My pleasure bud. That's what we should be here for. ;-)

Yes we don't want anymore of this newbie bashing do we :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

youngsyp

Odin said:
Yes we don't want anymore of this newbie bashing do we :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
You take me completely out of context old chap. What I meant to say was that and newbie bashing is what we should be here for ! :lol: ;-)