brakes ??

R

richpulsar

when i was braking at some lights today coming almost to a stand still my brake peddle went hard then it started to judder a bit then i heard a sort of grinding noise any ideas, my clutch is on its way out and the thrust bearing is about to give up the ghost could this have something to with it sorry its so long :D

R

richpulsar

it wasnt that kind of sound or feel even my missus said what was that noise it was like the peddle got stuck and wouldn't go down any more

N

N1SMO

may be the pads are worn down to the metal should have a look cause u need brakes.

once on an old car of mine the pads fell out and i was using the piston as brakes. not good but it was a banger, now in car heaven

N

N1SMO

yes sir they did it was on an old honda at the farm i work at we use to rally it about and abuse it had no oil or water for three weeks of abuse, but we got bored trying to kill it and in the end drove it into a wall several times to shorten it

N

N1SMO

how hard do u drive the car and how late do u jump on the brakes.

R

richpulsar

i do have my mad moments but not when that happened prime reason no fuel (now theres a suprise) it was gentle braking almost to a stand still when it happened

N

N1SMO

do you know if the screech thins are fitted to warn when pads get low
how old is the brake fluid
is it still making the noise and juddering

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do you have grooved brakes? They make a juddering sort of noise. Or you brakes might just be worn and need replacing.

R

richpulsar

it made the noise n juddered twice it hasn't done it since after refuelling :twisted: abd the brakes work fine coming down from cough cough sort of speeds :roll: its strange

R

richpulsar

richpulsar said:
i do have my mad moments but not when that happened prime reason no fuel (now theres a suprise) it was gentle braking almost to a stand still when it happened
this is why i refuelled then tested brakes several times

ian c

brake grind

I've been waiting for someone else to experience this for ages.....

mine does it too! its an abs problem!

one of my abs sensors is knack'd and so ABS doesn't work in normal use - fine i can live with that.....but.....

The ABS does a self check at 10kph - until this speed the ECU believes all is well with the ABS!

If i start up and pull out of a parking space and drive at less than 10kph, then brake - i get same symptoms, exactly same symptoms as if you had done emergency stop!
It doesn't happen all the time tho - its very odd!

Rich, can you confirm speeds before the incident?
is you ABS knack'd - light on etc?
does abs light come on/go off when key-on?

hope this helps you feel bit more at ease - only thing is...once, pulled out of a petrol station on a set a t/lights - pressed brakes cos lights were red - just rolled straight thru...ooops! (i need to sort it, but cos it only happens infrequently, i'm not assed)

C

charlie

did u forget to press the clutch when you stopped? :lol:

that wil make the car judder :D

(really im just jealous cos i havent got abs)

R

richpulsar

the abs light comes on when ignition is switched on and goes off as it should