BRAKES-which ones???

LeeSmith

what are the standard GTI-R brake sizes front and rear???
i need new discs all round!!!

i dont want to go standard as they suck and i haven't got too much cash at the minute - i will replace fronts first, rears later.

any recomendations? i was thinking of the hispec jobbies......

S

Stoned

Sunny 2.0i Gti-R 4x4
FRONT PAIR RD10864 257mm x 26
REAR PAIR RD11007 234mm X 7

J

jasegould

I believe the Willwood conversion is the cheapest and is supposed to be very good :?: I dont know coz i still have standard brakes :cry:

J

J-GTi-R

Standard brakes, single pot calipers, complete rubbish...

J

J-GTi-R

I have the Wilwoods btw, transforms the car. I can brake as hard as I want all day long and they don't fade (didn't even fade on ten laps of Coombe).

S

Stoned

J-GTi-R said:
I have the Wilwoods btw, transforms the car. I can brake as hard as I want all day long and they don't fade (didn't even fade on ten laps of Coombe).
How big are these?

J

J-GTi-R

280mm, with the Midilite 4-pots. I have 15in Compomotive MOs, so couldn't go any bigger, but in hindsight, I don't need to go any bigger.

S

Stoned

Well if they were they would be the same as the fronts no?

And they dont look as big to me.

LeeSmith

right, i have some prices now, which ones do you reckon would be good for me, i do mostly town driving:

these are made by black diamond and i'm putting red stuff pads on them.

Nissan Sunny GTi R

CROSS DRILLED £99.00 - these???

12 GROOVED £106.00 - these???

COMBINATION £127.00 - or these???

thanks in advance

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Cross drilled brakes have a habit of cracking over time, so I'd probably go for the grooved ones. But when they wear, they tend to make abit of a noise when you brake hard, so you can't win. :p

Just go for which ones your happy with. I probably wouldn't go grooved and drilled as that's a fair bit of braking surface being removed from the disc with all that machining.

A

Anonymous

Fast Guy said:
Cross drilled brakes have a habit of cracking over time, so I'd probably go for the grooved ones.
Wont they warp long before they have a chance to crack?

Dunc

A

Anonymous

Lee,
from looking at yr site you have 17s right?
you could easily put say a 300mm disc on the car using the std caliper if you are short of cash?
I think hi spec do a kit or at least go for the 285mm disc using the caliper and mounting bracket.

I drive an R with the 308mm rotor n disc combi on it and much better than std!

never scrimp on brakes and if anything it is better to have big anchors than bother with all the engine tuning!! big anchors can be worth 50 bhp on a good track!

A

Anonymous

I take it you mean rotor and caliper? If so which make have you got?

Dunc