brake upgrade time

O

owens

well after by brakes deciding to give up after one stop from 80 to 50 ive decided that a brake upgrade is due sooner rather than later, ive been looking at the nissan 4 pots on the 200sx and skyline and unless i can get a nice set of brembo's for silly money im probably gonna go with these. has anyone fitted these nissan calipers before and what size discs did you go for??
im running 17"s so size shouldnt be an issue, im assuming 300mm ish disc size is the norm??

any help would be greatfully recieved

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Will be more hastle than its worth trying to fit 200SX or GTR Brakes.. You'd be better off with a purpose made GTiR Kit..

There is a Willwood Brake Kit Group Buy going on just now which is worth a look.. Also check in with KevD from Apex Performance who is looking at a new brake kit for the GTiR.. HiSpec and Brembo are the slightly more expensive options..

If you are feeling flush then there is the AP Racing 4POT and 6POT Brake Kits..

Rishi

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
MINESGTIR said:
hispec 300 mm 4 pot kit ------------ £799 www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk
godspeed 300mm 4 pot ------------^ similar www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk
AP racing 295mm 4 pot ---------- £1260? www.whifbitz.co.uk
AP racing 330mm 6 pot ---------- £1550 ish www.whifbitz.co.uk

hope this helps ya !

Wouldn't bother with Godspeed.. You'll be waiting a year for the guy in his shed to make the kit up for you.. I'm sure its a good kit but just not efficient at communicating and getting kits made in a timely fashion..

Rishi

O

owens

idealy im not looking at spending the earth as im just at the start of buying a new house so most of my money is tied up in that, i can get a pair of range rover brembo calipers from work for £250 but i doubt they will fit as they are huge.
i take it that a few people have tried 200sx calipers and found they were a pain in the ****??

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
You could try Rally Design for Wilwood brake kits. Quite a few people have them on their GTiR’s. They do the job and a reasonably priced.

I have the 285mm kit and they are fine, but I think the next progression is going to be the 310mm kit.

EVOBAD

u might find alot of people just retain the calipers & put bigger discs on ,i used that sytem for a while & it was just as good as the 4pots,its not the calipers on the pulsar its the size of the discs,try hispec they do 280mm brake kit & use a good set of pads

Shaun

RishiGTiR said:
Wouldn't bother with Godspeed.. You'll be waiting a year for the guy in his shed to make the kit up for you.. I'm sure its a good kit but just not efficient at communicating and getting kits made in a timely fashion..

Rishi
Would have to agree with Rishi.I waited 3 months for my 300mm rear disc kit :roll: quality is spot on although they came without a fitting kit or being anodised like i asked :roll: .

Lionel

myself and Ian at godspeed are looking in to makeing a new kit for the GTIR at the monet hes doing a AP kit with calipers for 16"+ wheels at £950.00 all in.

O

owens

im debating weather or not to look at going for the big disc upgrade instead of a 4pot conversion, i suppose it would depend on wheather other people think a big disc upgrade would make a big enough difference??

as for purpose made kits, i realy havent got the spare cash at the moment to buy a kit and being in the motor trade myself it would be much easier to buy older calipers for less and refurb them myself.

Lionel

I have a 285mil set up on my R and i think it a load of rubish to be far if your useing standard calipers id spend a bit more money and get some good stoppers

EVOBAD

yes but to be fair your saying spend a few more quid the kit from hispec cost around £240 u will hav to add about £600notes on top for any other kit unless u by the willwoods or a second hand set if u havnt got the money then the bigger disc are better than the strd discs

EVOBAD

if your after a set of discs ther is a guy selling a set of 310mm hispec disc kit on the modifiers club for £275

Lionel

last time i talked to Ian ( that being 3day ago) he said that he could get a 310 many be a 320 under 16`s but i will have to ask him agen

carl are you at JAE ?? as im hopeing to bring some samples of some brakes kits

Lionel

I have one customer with the Brembo kit and he drives his car only on the weekend and spends most of his time Flat out.

his brembo kit works realy well and hes running 330 mils on 17`s.

Ian is Not doing kits for 15" wheels at the monet so he has told me but i will get on to him 2morrow and find out what he can sort as i have a number of people that have 15" wheels and realy want his kits.

if it was me buying new brakes id have to go for the AP just as i think its a beter all round caliper use beter seals in side and the alround look i think is beter.

Lionel.