Brake problem.

dencon

I need urgent help on sorting brakes. Just finished rebuilding crashed car. Donor had ABS, this was scrapped, used my master cylinder, pipes and four branch pipe splitter on bulkhead. Im sure that I have both front pipes going into Fs and rears into Rs. I am unable to get good pedal after continuous bleeding and am sure there is no air in system. I am getting braking on left front only, and car wants to swing around. This is after a couple of pumps on pedal. It has Willwood four pots all around and these have been superb up to the crash. Am going to try and put it on brake rollers next week, but this is not easy as car in not registered for road. On four way splitter there is a small cylinder on end. Am not sure what this does. I would be glad of any help. cheers den.

stumo

the abs and non-abs cars have different bias valves (the pipe splitter on the bulkhead), maybe the one off the donor was knackered/seized or you've piped it up wrong.

EDIT, just read that you used your old splitter, i'd say you've piped it up wrong.

dencon

Does anyone know if there is a different servo for the ABS cars compared to the servo on the non ABS cars?. den

noriek2003

servo as said is the same, master cylinders are different, dis block is different. People have successfully binned the abs without changing any of those parts.

you should be able to tell from my pic that i have posted on page 2 after you spotted that this one was wrong..lol if you have it plumbed correctly as it will be the same regardless of what parts are used.

Last edited:

NME_RR

Oh yea Quote me!!

I didn't even mention about a roller brake tester!!

Plus how can it bugger the diff with the engine engaged??

Mate if your worried about using your brakes and driving i would leave you car in the garage n not drive it for fear of locking up the diffs,

Aso Woooo betide anyone who goes on a rolling road for power trials, you do realise your going nowhere fast!!

red reading

Oh yea Quote me!!

I didn't even mention about a roller brake tester!!

Plus how can it bugger the diff with the engine engaged??

Mate if your worried about using your brakes and driving i would leave you car in the garage n not drive it for fear of locking up the diffs,

Aso Woooo betide anyone who goes on a rolling road for power trials, you do realise your going nowhere fast!!

more b0ll0cks by capain b11llsh1t:lol:

noriek2003

like everything on the gtir it can be done with the engine in but is an absolute "sh*t cu** f*ck**g *ast**d of a job with the standard inlet set up. Whipping the inlet off will make it a lot easier but is a pain in the @rse in itself.

i'd probably drop the engine tbh if i was doing it again on a standardish set up

Try and get a camera in there to take a piccy, that way you might see what is wrong and can plan a course of action from there.

Last edited:

dencon

thanks. Your photo shows your front supply pipe going in on bottom of valve, whereas mine and the workshop manual shows it going in the top. Have removed master cyl, stripped , but it looks ok .Don,t think the problem is there. Will rebuild or renew. den.

stumo

does the pedal feel ok or not?

does the pedal only seem to go down a certain amount then hit a "stop", whereas normally it would just press down properly?

noriek2003

dencon said:
thanks. Your photo shows your front supply pipe going in on bottom of valve, whereas mine and the workshop manual shows it going in the top. .

bloody good spot there
, cheers 8)...mine are wrong :shock: not sure how i managed that tbh seeing as i had drawn them up for mark when he made them :oops:

although i did put them in over the christmas break so was probably semi pished :oops: oh well another little job to do tomorrow

noriek2003

im going to blame my mate kieran, fecking evo drivers, he was round when i was doing them, distracting me.

all sorted :

the really dumb thing is, they now look like i thought they would as i always thought something was odd with them before...thanks again for the spot den :thumbsup:

complete wiring job soon, should be interesting if i cant get some brakelines round the right way :doh: :lol: