Brake pads....which ones are best ?

MarkTurbo

pulsarboby said:
cant help you with pads ant, as ive not got wilwoods, but agree with the greenstuff pads, they are useless on a track!
They're bad enough on the road let alone putting them anywhere near a track :shock:

GTiR_Mic

I felt the pads could handle the stick when I gave them it.

No brake fade at all and felt comfortable with them.

I would take the Wilwoods on the track as there is no problem with them.

Mic

DanDud

On 2 of the track days iv been on the wilwoods have coped pretty well with the Poly Q's, but twice i have had marshals come over and tell me that my disks are glowing bright red and theres sparks coming out under heavy braking. Now the brakes have only faded slightly on me at the end of a 15minute session, and i mean slightly faded, they still had enough stick to slow the car down but the noises out of them when im on the pedal are horrible, make me cringe, a heavy grinding sound and after attacking castle coombe my disks are slightly warped, they still work fine but you can see their warped when you spin them with the wheels off. They squeel when cold too, but that doesnt bother me. I know andy (fubar) had tiny hairline cracks in his disks after attacking cadwell park (IIRC).

Has anyone else experianced any problems like these with their wilwood setups?

Braveheart

I have used the smart pads at knockhill.
They were ok but I was looking for a bit more braking at the end of the long straight into the hairpin. They have a high metal content and kick off a lot of sparks. They also clogged the drilled holes in the disks after a few laps. Pads were half spent after four sessions.
I'll try the poly Q's on the 26th Aug.
I think however, if I want to improve my braking any more, I'll need to change my brake kit. That may happen for 2008 when I up the anti and fit my new turbo, injectors, Z32 and management system.

DanDud

Apart from the long straight did you find them man enough to do the job? They could withstand 20minutes of abuse without fading?

Braveheart

Yes..... the performance did not drop off and stayed consistant throughout a session (approx 12 mins) which meant that I did not have to change my driving style and had the same braking lap after lap. The kit was just fitted out of the box... disks are still fine but the dust seals look a bit wabbit after the high temps.

D

deslynam

Demon Tweeks might do the Mintex ones you're after?
I had to wait a few weeks for the 1144s I wanted as they were made specially, but they did come through in the end.