Brake grinding?

prkwan

I have upgraded my brakes with a wilwood 4 pot kit, and last night i was racing with my friend and at the end of the road we brake at the last sec. I brake as usual and afterwards he told my my brakes were on fire! He said there was flaming bits coming out! Now I havent seen it myself but i am sure he is not lying. So what could be the cause of this? I have checked the clearance of the wheels and the calipers and both seems fine. Any suggestions? [:(]

I am exhausted, are you?

A

Anonymous

How fast were you going and how hard did you brake? Me and a mate were tooling around on the runway at work in his scooby and my R, he stamped on the brakes from 100mph ish and his front discs were glowing bright red! When he got out of his car they were smoking for 2 or 3 mins.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think the concencous was the he'd just run his brakes in. All the replies got deleted on the old forum when it was playing up.

prkwan

my car pulled to one side when i step on the brakes today, dont know whats wrong with it! could be the pistons in the caliper has cease...

wilwood is not too as good as i thought to be.... :cry:

ap is the way to go i think....

J

jaigtir

what you doing racing you naughty boy :D .

Have you taken the brakes off and had a look?

A

Anonymous

Well how close is your caliper clearance because if its TIGHT then when metal expands this could cause your calipers to friction on your wheels etc. I would make sure you are using good brake fluid and then consider a master cylinder brace or better pads or new master cylinder upgrade like i am going to do.

prkwan

jaigtr: yea, i am always up for it :lol:

nabsq: sounds good your plan, i will follow your footstep then.... :D

Curtis

Did you check to see if the disc was eating into the caliper like I suggest?
If you haven't check this ASAP. My Willwoods were... :shock: I had to space the caliper out with a few washers to over come this problem due to the holes for the studs in the disc being too big causing resulting in the disc not sitting quite central.

prkwan

all i can say is wilwoods gives me nothing but trouble. :x

me and my mechanic had an inspection with it and it appears that the discs are not big enough for the pads, and the pads start to develop a lip round the edges, thus making them squeal, also the pads got so hot that they started to crack. Also fading signs could be found!

I am getting Ap ones asap! :evil:

O

Olly

Looks good at night don't it, my mates said i had sparks coming out of my front wheels ages ago turns out it cos i had race pads POLYMATRIX type = short life awesome brakes and loadsa dust, nothing to worry about Albert

A

Anonymous

I set fire to 3 sets of brakes on my 95 Mustang. Looked F**kin ace and was a company car so just kept getting them replaced! Is just the disc and pads over heating.

Prkwan,
If you want to unload your Wilwoods on someone real cheap-like can I have first refusal? Ta!

Dunc