Bracing a turbo…

JU5TY

What’s involves, discuss…

RC were saying they need my car running before they can brace it, does anyone know why this is, is it to check for movement etc?

What do you brace the turbo to etc…?

I

Innovate Performance

most likely cause they dont want to have a car there that they have to push around. You genrally brace a turbo to suport the weight and to rduce the flex on the mainifold.

Should not make to much differance if it is not running cause they all move the same and there are only so many ways you can brace somthing.

A

antilag

u can brace off were ever is available really

its a very technical question this really as nikko will probably tell u that lets say u brace the turbo to block and the brace is there to help support the turbo then u shud tak into consideration that even tho the brace is attached to the turbo it wont b the same heat which can cause the brace to brake or brake at the weld

if the brace doesnt flex it will crack the manifold

if its to flexy u can crack and brake the manifold launcing and so on and so on im sure rc have it mastered :wink:

A

antilag

Innovate Performance said:
most likely cause they dont want to have a car there that they have to push around. You genrally brace a turbo to suport the weight and to rduce the flex on the mainifold.

Should not make to much differance if it is not running cause they all move the same and there are only so many ways you can brace somthing.
as far as im concerned u dont want to reduce the movement of the manifold mate that causes cracks trust me we braced my mates evo (over braced) done 200 miles to get to totb1 and it had blown 2 holes the size of 50p's out of it lol

the manifold needs to expand and contract naturally your bracing needs to allow for this.the brace is just to support sum weight really nothing else

I

Innovate Performance

You can go for a sprug loaded brace which is like the sort of things they use on cossie.

I did say reduce not stop movment.

Flex in the manifold from engine movment is different to heat movment.
The other thing is to use a metal that expands at a slower rate than the manifold this can reduce the chance of any brakage.
Most of the time you only need one brace that is well positioned and bobs ya uncle.

Have had i few braces brake in the past on various cars but its cheaper tochange a brace than the manifold

I

Innovate Performance

antilag said:
Innovate Performance said:

as far as im concerned u dont want to reduce the movement of the manifold mate that causes cracks trust me we braced my mates evo (over braced) done 200 miles to get to totb1 and it had blown 2 holes the size of 50p's out of it lol

the manifold needs to expand and contract naturally your bracing needs to allow for this.the brace is just to support sum weight really nothing else
How many braces did you put on it.???

A

antilag

well it was silly as it was a local guys idea as soon as i saw it i new it cudent last cos the braced its primary together lol they were trying to get no movement for some reason

i agree one good brace is all u need :D :D

Keira

habibs looks very sensible, braced the front pipe off of the old aircon bracket mounting points, will take alot of the weight and shouldn't affect the manifold

M

MarkMc

I have a stainless steel steam pipe manifold. I’m pretty sure I have no bracing. This maybe worth looking into if you do not have a manifold already. Note there not meant to crack or suffer the issue associated with other types.

Cheers

Mark

JU5TY

Yeah I was thinking along the lines of habib's brace on the downpipe. Just wondered if that would be enough...

LOU ROB

I've got 3 braces,2 from the head to the top of the turbo and one from the block to the downpipe.No probs so far.

A

antilag

im suprised u use bracing lou on that little turbo lol or are the braces to stop it from floating away into the sky :lol:

M

MarkMc

antilag said:
u got a pic?
There is a picture of my engine bay on members section, but you can not really see the manifold or even the turbo for that matter. When I get my car back I will post decent pic showing manifold.

mark

LOU ROB

antilag said:
im suprised u use bracing lou on that little turbo lol or are the braces to stop it from floating away into the sky :lol:
At last,youv'e realised what the bracing is really for :wink: :lol: