Boost question

mds

Good evening all!!

My car is totally standard even down to the exhaust and air box,
Im taking it to power engineering for them to wind the boost up this week(boost controller),
My question to all of you is this; what boost can i run on the standard fuel pump safely and if i was to uprate the fuel pump what boost can i run then, also what's your rough estimate of power it will give in both scenario's.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Regards
mds

Last edited:

azboy

id say to be safe with standard pump exhaust and cat dont go more than 0.9 bar but make sure u change the fuel filter and run a good fuel injector cleaner through it before ie( fote ) and always run on octimax u should see 245 to 250bhp change the exhaust and decat it ud get about 260 - 270, but it is best to change the fuel pump specally if it the original 15 year old 1 in there and cooler plugs than can easily run a bar which will be approx 270 - 285 max with standard ecu maybe near 300 with a mapped emanage ect, also get the ignition timing checked best at about 19.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
All cars are different, I was running 1bar on the standard pump quite happily, but normally it's best to stick to about 0.9 as they can be old, tired or not have enough voltage getting to them due to dodgy earths etc.

As you're going to power engineering, I'd hope they'd be monitoring the fuelling when upping the boost and be able to tell you if it's safe at 0.9/1bar etc.

mds

hi
just spotted the post on "easy way of achieving 1 bar" i.e. drilling a hole in the solenoid is this worth a go??? also from what i've heard my standard clutch wont last long is this the case?
How much roughly does an unprated clutch kit cost and where's the best place to get one??

Thanks for the reply's they are much appreciated.
cheers

SunOnGTiR

Power Engineeering...................
You'll probably be sorted with a boost pipe which IIRC,give you a little more boost than standard.About 1-2 psi.Plug it in when you want,take it out when you want.;-)
They might advise you to get an AFR (i think) which will allow you to run a little richer due to the slightly high boost.
How do I know?...................this is what the previous owner of my R did when he went to PE.
Make sure they check your fuelling!!!

Fazz

You'll need an uprated fuel pump for anything over .9bar - so teh drilled 1 bar boost mod won't help in this instance.

Thou it sounds like you don't have a boost controller if you are looking at this then, so you can't get to .9bar either!

My advice - buy an Apexi AVC-R boost controller and get mapped to .9bar - we had one a t rolling road day and he just got the AVC-R fitted. Had full Mongoose and induction kit, wound boost up to .88bar ( fuel pump maxed at .9bar!) and he got 279bhp.

Good luck.