Boost Gauge

I

IICause_OneII

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on installing a boost gauge.

The gauge that I have has an output for where you connect the vacuum hose and three wires, (i'm sure they normally come with only two).

The three wires are as follows in the instructions:

Black - Ground

Red - ACC

Green - Signal

I'm Ok with grouding it and I guess ACC is to connect to the ignition, but where do I connect the signal wire to? :?

Any help would be very much appreciated. :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's electrical, I'd assume there'd be a 12V feed, ilumination feed and an earth. Does the vacuum connect to the gauge or a sender unit separate from the gauge?

I

IICause_OneII

Thanks

Hi mate,

Cheers for the quick reply.

It is an electrical gauge and the instructions explain that the vacuum hose should go to the a vacuum hose on the throttle body.

Where would you suggest I connect the wires? Can I just connect the 12V feed and illumination wire to the same 12 V feed, i.e. + on battery?

Thanks for your help so far. :D

I

IICause_OneII

Illumination

BTW The gauge is similar to the Defi gauges where they are smoked black faces and to see the readings, the gauge has to always be illuminated.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Re: Thanks

IICause_OneII said:
Can I just connect the 12V feed and illumination wire to the same 12 V feed, i.e. + on battery?
You realy need them to be fused, if you connect direct to the battery, you might find you flatten your battery eventually.
Just have a route behind the dash board with a multi meter, find an illumintation wire running to a switch buld for example and tap into that and find a switched 12v for the power. I used the fag lighter as I don't smoke and there's a bulb above it somewhere.

I

IICause_OneII

Cheers!! (You've been a real help so far mate..)

I used the + terminal on the battery as an extreme case and I was actually thinking of using the cigarette lighter wires like you have.

So would I be successful if I connected both the positive feed and signal wire to the positive of the cigarette lighter and the negative wire to the negative wire of the cigarette lighter?

Also, I use my cigarette lighter as a source for my snooper, will I still be able to use it when I connect the wires from my boost gauge to it?

Again, any advice is much appreciated, (I'm such a novice :oops:).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's possible you could draw too much current and blow the fuse. It would work but your gauge would be illuminated all the time. Depending where you mount the gauge, there's a couple of earths on the a pillar that might be easier to run a wire to. (just stick your head by the pedals and look to the right for the black wires running to a bolt. :wink: )

I

IICause_OneII

Thanks Fast Guy!!

Ok, I'll have a look around!!

So it looks like I'm going to connect the 12v feed and signal to the cigarette lighter and find an alternative ground as it will draw too much feed.. :D

Thank you so much for the help mate!!!! :D

J

John Mc

Hi Mate,

I connected my 12V feed to a switched live for the lights, so it only comes on when the lights come on. But if you need it on permanently then wire it in to the cigarette lighter which only comes on when the ignition is switched on 8)

Cheers

John

I

IICause_OneII

Sender Unit

Cheers buddy!!

Been looking through the net and some people have mentioned the signal wire needs to go to some sort of sender unit?

Any opinions on this?

J

John Mc

No sorry mate :oops:

Mine only has two cables, +12v and ground.

The third wire at a guess could be if you have a way of measuring and storing the info. from the guage, not sure though so don't quote me on it :roll: :oops: :oops:

Cheers

John

I

IICause_OneII

Electronic or Mechanical

The gauge doesn't have the function to show the previous boost pressure.

It's a bit confusing as the gauge's packaging says that its an electronic boost gauge, but it requires a vacuum hose? That would make me think it's a mechanical gauge..

But then the instructions explain the green wire is for signal? Which would make me think it needs to connect to some sort of sender unit, meaning its an electronic boost gauge.

:cry: