Boost gauge fittin

T

Tart

Hi Guys and Gals.....

I fitted a defi last nite in the good old thunder and lightening storm we had. It is working fine bar one thing....... The boost is only reading up to 8psi...... I tapped the hose line onto the boost line that comes off the solenoid is this wrong??? I thought that all the boost lines would run at the same pressure but thinkin this could b wrong! shud I fit it to the pipe where my bleed valve is instead??? Prob try that tonight anyway but wanted a little advice......... TA, M@

J

J-GTi-R

You should plumb it into the hose that comes off the fuel pressure regulator and goes to the standard boost pressure sensor, that's where I have mine and it works perfectly.

geetee

There is a restrictor in the line from the Plenum to the standard Boost Solenoid. d'oh!!

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

T

Tart

I think that is the same pipe im talkin about. Its got my bleed valve fitted and runs to the turbo (or v.near proximity).

T

Tart

Cheers geetee, that would certainly explain the low readin!!!

geetee

That's the one....

The pipe from the plenum to metal pipe on the underside of the intercooler frame has a restrictor jet in it...... if you look at the pipe it has a green line around it.

This line then goes down to the standard boost controller.... or in ur case to the bleed valve. So if ur boost gauge is tapped in after the restrictor it will read low.

There's 2 or 3 boost pipes running off that side of the plenum you can tap into... the most common is the one that goes to the standard Boost Sensor mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay.

I've got a diagram somewhere if u need it.

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

T

Tart

OK, just to clarify, :shock: where my bleed valve is... can u tap into this pipe if I do this under the bleed valve on the way 2 the turbo? surely then it wont be restricted??? If I can't use that line a diagram wud b good pls....Ive got the vacum tube already wired to that point so anything close wud b real helpful........

geetee

NO... there's even less boost pressure there cos u've bled some of it off with the valve!!!

The small pipe going to the turbo attaches to the Wastegate Actuator.

You need to take it off somewhere near the plenum... preferably on the pipe to the standard boost sensor as this will show both boost AND vacuum. Some of the other pipes only show vacuum.

Give me a few mins I'll try and post the diagram up.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

T

Tart

cheers, sorry for bein a bit dim.... first time at playin wiv a new boost gauge..... diagram will defo help........... :oops:

T

Tart

Cheers, thats very helpful. I will do that tonight.....

Thanks for all the advice......... :D

T

Tart

Just found where Id tapped onto......... no 6 on ur diagram. :oops:

Now I see the diagram I can see why im not gettin a good readin......

Thanks Again

geetee

It's all because the standard actuator opens the wastegate at some measly pressure (about 6psi??? I think).

The restrictor jet and standard boost controller effectively stop the full boost hitting the actuator.

The boost controller presumably acts like a bleed vale and bleeds some boost of and reycles it into the air intake. I've never really looked at that diagram too hard but it would make sense to plug the outlet of ur bleed valve into the pipe that runs from the standard controller to the inlet. I don't think anyone does though... usually, the 2 pipes from the standard controller are unplugged and bolts put in them or taped up and the outlet of the bleed valve just left to vent to atmosphere.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

T

Tart

Just went for a fag break and found the std boost controller.... connected the pipe to that and ....... BLING.......... Gauge wrks a treat. Instead of reading 0 on starting it went straight down which woz a good sign and is now boosting fine........... :D

Cheers for all the help, ur a diamond........

M@

geetee

The standard boost controller or boost sensor?

The stan boost controller is fitted at the front of the top mount intercooler frame

The stan boost sensor is on the passenger side of the engine bay on the passenger side

I presume you mean the boost sensor??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

T

Tart

yep that the baby........... words mixed up......... ah well, it works........ :D

T

Tart

couldn't wait, just took it for a spin....... :D

18psi............ and no overboosting.......... now im happy..........